Chicago HB Get-together VIII: The Ocho

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Pipeguy

#1: Post by Pipeguy »

Well, it's finally Fall and time for another Chicago HB event, this time in the exotic burg of Highland located in Northwest Indiana and hosted by me!

I am looking at a Saturday at the end of October, perhaps the 27th although I can be persuaded to move it to the 20th or even November 3rd. In addition to the much discussed duck fat fryer, I have the plumbed in and PID'd single group CMA, the Cremina and Achille, as well as my K-10 and Super Jolly all ready for action. The PID'd Mini-Gaggia is still touring with friends from the last gathering, and reportedly needs some repairs (hey, it's a Gaggia; put it in a plastic tub to catch the leaks and try not to touch the pooled water and the machine at the same time...). Bring whatever equipment you want or use mine, the more the merrier! Those that know me know I'm not a roaster so all the coffee I will have on hand will be from the usual purveyors of excellence at Terroir, Intelligentsia, Counter Culture, and perhaps a mystery blend or two. If you have something cool in the roaster please bring it with you (you know whom you are).

I am proposing to fire up the smoker for pulled pork and other BBQ specialties, with contributions from the others as you see fit. There are a couple of dozen kinds of bourbon in the bar, and I promise to have the kegerator full of something good for the event.

If you have been on the fence about attending a Chicago group event, hopefully I can get you to give us a try! Let me know your preferences and availability, as well as any suggestions for themes or memes, and I will send directions once we get a little closer to whatever day we decide on.

Pipeguy

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Sounds terrific. I'm good for any of the dates, and will return the Mini Gaggia. With the beefed up spring, it's a legitimate shot puller; but we didn't bond.
Jim Schulman

ilVecchio

#3: Post by ilVecchio »

The 27th works for me.

Joel

vberch

#4: Post by vberch »

Sounds great! Count me in!

Robot

#5: Post by Robot »

Count me in as well, looking forward to it and still smarting about missing the last one!

Sherman

#6: Post by Sherman »

The 27th might be a stretch. Any chance of pushing to 20th?
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

Pipeguy (original poster)

#7: Post by Pipeguy (original poster) replying to Sherman »

I can make the 20th work instead, just need confirmation from the other gents...

UltramaticOrange

#8: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Both the 20th and the 27th should work for me.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

ilVecchio

#9: Post by ilVecchio »

I can make the 20th.
Joel

earlgrey_44

#10: Post by earlgrey_44 »

I'll have to pay more frequent attention to the cafe thread - I'm a week out of sync.

At present, 20th, 27th, and the 3rd are all good.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.