Chicago HB Get Together IX: The 101 Edition

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

Russel has gotten the ball rolling on our next get together.

I'm not sure if this will be an espresso 101, a food and drink lubricated brain storming session to develop a 101, or a bit of both. I figure if we try enough Miscelas, Maccinas, Machinas and Manos, we may get some feel about what works and what doesn't; both in terms of easy and tasty shots, and in terms of teaching people to make them.

Post your available dates and thoughts.
Jim Schulman

UltramaticOrange

#2: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Looks like Russel is targeting the end of January. The 12th, 13th, 19th or 20th work for me as would Feb. 2nd and 3rd ... presuming my work schedule doesn't randomly change again.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

Advertisement
stinkyonion

#3: Post by stinkyonion »

Im available jan 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, 22 and feb 2. Those are mostly friday and saturday nights. Just wondering why pro establishment best, but im game for whatever. It seems we should be fiddling with our own machines. Mine should be fully plumbed by then and would be difficult to bring along.

ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by ilVecchio »

The 13th and 22nd do work for me.

I'm in agreement with Russell about using home machines. I'm thinking that Russell wants to develop skills on his equipment.

Joel

bigstormgirl

#5: Post by bigstormgirl »

Since I'm in serious need of any type of "101", I'm open to any date (as long as my employer doesn't throw a mandatory overtime on me at the last minute like they usually do).

I can easily bring my Cremina if needed.
Cindy
LMWDP #348

Pipeguy

#6: Post by Pipeguy »

I'm not sure if this will be an espresso 101, a food and drink lubricated brain storming session to develop a 101, or a bit of both.
Perhaps the best way to proceed is to meet up with Russel and take copious notes while we try to share what we know. It's a small sample size, but that could be the driver for a more structured program that we can roll out whenever and where ever.

FWIW, every confab we have ever had has taught me a trick or two. No matter where we were at, there are always a couple of people huddled over a machine in the corner trying out a new preinfusion routine or pressure profile; it's one of the best things about the group.

As of right now, I can make all the dates work...

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

If you are all fine with just home equipment; we can do it private. Russell, we will need counter space and electrical service for three or four machines (yours and two or three more) and two or three grinders (yours, and a big conical and maybe a Vario). If Cindy brings her Cremina, we are covered on the lever front. I can bring the Semi, a non-E61, non-tbermosyphon HX. Not sure anyone has a dual boiler. Sherman or I can being the conical. If your place is up for that; you've just been elected host.

I'm open for all the discussed dates.

A note: in the past, the meetups have been during the day, roughly ten to five, not the evening.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by ilVecchio »

I can bring my Vario, and a small Pavoni I bought.

Joel

bigstormgirl

#9: Post by bigstormgirl »

I know this maybe too early to discuss the food, but I can bring my homemade pizzelles. :D
Cindy
LMWDP #348

Pipeguy

#10: Post by Pipeguy »

Never, ever too early to discuss the food...