Blue Bottle Coffee shops in NYC, any good?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
BusinessCasual

#1: Post by BusinessCasual »

Hello I'm going to NYC soon and noticed that near where my friends want to go is a blue bottle coffee shop. I see their are many in NYC and heard some mixed reviews from coffee enthusiasts. Does anyone here have strong opinions about them? I plan on trying some espresso.

Thanks!

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by walr00s »

Every coffee shop that is reliant on an employer-employee model is subject to the same problems any other food service using that model has. Employees do not have true incentive to make every food item taste great. They are paid hourly to do a job and sometimes an employee will do it well and other times they will just do it (and maybe it doesn't turn out great), just like the rest of us doing a job day in and day out. I've had blue bottle roasted coffee and thought it was on par with most of the other big names out there, very good. Whether or not the employee manning the espresso machine on the day and at the location you choose will do a good job? Quite possible, also possible they won't do such a good job.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
mathof

#3: Post by mathof »

I was staying in mid-town NYC about 18 months ago and found that the Blue Bottle at Rockefeller Center is reliable: https://bluebottlecoffee.com/cafes/rockefeller-center

klee11mtl

#4: Post by klee11mtl »

I just came back from NYC and had BlueBottle at the Bryant Park location. They charge an extra $1 for single origin in a latte but the one I had was pretty good. If you're near the Financial District / World Trade Center, visit Suited on John St. Not only was my flat white fantastic but the kids each had a pastry and insisted on returning for another.

BTW, not trying to hijack your post but the espresso Suited served was Ditta Artigianle (Muthunzuuni) but he didn't have any bags to sell me. The owner claims they are one of the few, if not the only, Italian roasters that do lighter roasts. If anyone knows how to get this in the US, please post or message me directly.
https://www.dittaartigianale.it/it/prod ... uthunzuuni

mathof

#5: Post by mathof »

klee11mtl wrote: ... the espresso Suited served was Ditta Artigianle (Muthunzuuni) but he didn't have any bags to sell me. The owner claims they are one of the few, if not the only, Italian roasters that do lighter roasts. If anyone knows how to get this in the US, please post or message me directly.
https://www.dittaartigianale.it/it/prod ... uthunzuuni
I went to their website, put a few bags of coffee in the shopping cart and entered the US as shipping destination. The shipping fee was $24.

luisguilherme
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by luisguilherme »

Apart from Blue Bottle and Grumpy, any other tips?

I got a drip from Grumpy at Grand Central yesterday. Coffee was good, service was not. As asked for creamer on the side, in case the coffee was bitter (I didn't know yet the coffee was actually good), and they said they couldn't do it and put creamer directly in the coffee without asking first. That was a bummer. Even with creamer, it was clear to me that the coffee was really good, but milk masked a lot that I could taste.

I'm thinking of visiting Blue Bottle today, but I'll take other suggestions. The famous roaster I like most is Methodical. I like traditional espresso (chocolate color, sirupy in a great extraction) with milk or pure, and "full of flavor" medium-light roasted naturals for espresso. For pour over / drip, I like the velvety blueberry naturals, or very clean tasting light (but not too light) roasts. My favorite bad coffee is from McDonald's, if that helps too. :P

chipman

#7: Post by chipman »

They don't provide creamer probably because of Covid protocol.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
NicoNYC

#8: Post by NicoNYC »

Apart from Blue Bottle and Grumpy, any other tips?
What parts of NY are you staying in/going to be near?

I really like Everyman Espresso; they do what they call a One and One - a double shot split into a straight espresso and a cortado, so you get to try the same coffee w/ and w/o milk. They seem to always have a blend and a SO available for espresso, and I think they use Counter Culture beans.

Also Cafe Devocion. Their focus is on a fast supply chain from picking to serving, so they source their own beans exclusively from different regions of Colombia. They have 2 espresso blends they serve, one for milk drinks and one for straight espresso.

Both of them have locations in Bklyn and Manhattan, so you should be able to find one without going too far out of your way.