Best airport espresso

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
liquidmetal

#1: Post by liquidmetal »

Visited cartel coffee in PHX Airport and was BLOWN AWAY! Wow!

In the middle of a 645am Friday rush, they served me a wonderful split shot +machiatto, a washed Colombian that had a ton of chocolate and a bit of acidity after cooling. Anyone on the way through, I highly recommend it, prices were reasonable too! The one and one was only $4.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by emradguy »

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to be there in September.
LMWDP #748

keno

#3: Post by keno »

I've been to the Cartel locations in Tucson, which were very good. Nice to know that their Sky Harbor location is also good quality. I usually avoid buying coffee when travelling because it's so bad, particularly at airports.

FYI, if you ever make it to Portland we have some solid coffee at PDX International, including Stumptown and Portland Roasting Coffee.
https://pdx.eater.com/2016/7/19/1222710 ... d-roasting

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Glad to hear that they're still good. I visited on a layover in 2013 and had a great experience.

Scottsdale area
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

And if you need some beans for your trip, Cartel generally has a half dozen or so of their single origins available at their airport shop.
- John

LMWDP # 577

guydebord

#6: Post by guydebord »

My absolute best experience has been in Colombia at the Bogota Airport in a coffee place called XUE.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Prairiedawg

#7: Post by Prairiedawg »

Had a bad cup at Klatch LAX.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira replying to Prairiedawg »

I walked by and watched for a few minutes and decided it didn't look like it had much of a chance. I would have hoped for better from Klatch, but they looked like mostly untrained baristas using what seemed like rather old fashioned choices in equipment for what would often be a very low volume location. An LM machine and a pair of Mazzer E grinders, Robur and Major or Major and SJ. Not that you can't make good espresso with that setup, but it takes training and being willing to purge if it's been a long time since the last shot and I don't think the barista had a clue.

Ira

Prairiedawg

#9: Post by Prairiedawg replying to ira »

Yes, after a long overnight overseas flight I thought at least there's a Klatch in my connecting United terminal. Ordered a latte that I couldn't get halfway through. This isn't to bash Klatch, I order their coffee regularly but the LAX coffee was not good.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

AssafL

#10: Post by AssafL »

Reminds me of something David Schumer wrote about location. He had a bad experience until he moved Vivace to a more relaxed area.

One can only imagine how horrible airport clientele is. A mix of those doused by airline excess baggage charges, ones who missed a flight, are late to a flight, those irritated by airport surcharges, etc. horrific clientele.

I don't think I ever had a good coffee. Maybe once when Illy has their cafes. One time it was good. The rest not so much.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.
★ Helpful