Bad service at La Colombe, Beverly Hills

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
emradguy
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by emradguy »

We're in Beverly Hills for a couple of days. Yesterday, we walked to the nearest Blue Bottle location on S. Beverly. Coffees were fantastic, just like at the cafes I'd visited in San Francisco.
Today, we walked to La Colombe...about the same distance (3 blocks) in the other direction. The staff was not nearly as friendly, and then when we asked for a latte with just a small portion of espresso for our kids, they refused to make it. I was (scratch that, still am) so angry we walked out and went over to Blue Bottle.

sluflyer06

#2: Post by sluflyer06 »

That seems ridiculous, why couldn't they just pour out part of the shot for your kids latte before adding the milk?

NISMO_Juke

#3: Post by NISMO_Juke »

Sounds they like they have Todd Carmichael's attitude. If he is even remotely close to how he comes across in the shows I've watched I wouldn't tolerate him a minute.

Back in the day if parents ordered drinks for their kids I gladly made them any way they asked, even steaming the milk a bit cooler for most.

iploya
Supporter

#4: Post by iploya »

Dude, you're giving espresso to your kids? How old are your kids? :lol:

I've got a 4 year old and she's not drinking coffee until she's in college. She doesn't need it anyway, it's like her body naturally produces its own caffeine.
--AB

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by emradguy »

Just 1/4 - 1/2 a shot. The boys are 7 & 11. They don't get it everyday...usually just on some weekends. It's basically a coffee-tinged steamed milk. There's plenty of caffeine in chocolate. Who doesn't give their kid a hot chocolate or chocolate milk once in a while?

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

NISMO_Juke wrote:Sounds they like they have Todd Carmichael's attitude. If he is even remotely close to how he comes across in the shows I've watched I wouldn't tolerate him a minute.

I remember having very pleasant encounters with Todd Carmichael at the SCAA Expo in 2014. He came by the Slayer booth, and was very excited that his custom 2 group was almost finished. He got a lot of heat from the industry, particular other green coffee buyers, but his shows are just like every other reality tv show that hams it up for the camera.

Sounds like OP got a lousy attitude from the barista. Unfortunate, because the sting of bad service lingers a long time.

NISMO_Juke

#7: Post by NISMO_Juke »

iploya wrote:Dude, you're giving espresso to your kids? How old are your kids? :lol:

I've got a 4 year old and she's not drinking coffee until she's in college. She doesn't need it anyway, it's like her body naturally produces its own caffeine.
Coffee based drinks are definitely no worse than the soda and energy drinks many kids consume, some on a daily basis. I recently sold a machine to a guy I know and since he is very new to espresso I warmed the machine up and cranked out a double for him. He had his sons with him (both under 10 yrs old) and he let them sip the double I extracted for HIM to sample. Funny, but I was impressed that they seemed stoked with the straight shot.

iploya
Supporter

#8: Post by iploya »

I *am* looking forward to one day being able to make real espresso drinks for her. When I make one for mama, I will often make the kiddo "hot chocolate milk" which is basically cocoa powder with enough hot water to dissolve, then I pour frothed milk in. But the cocoa barely provides enough contrast for a little "latte art."
--AB