Austin cafe reviews - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
crusty cup

#21: Post by crusty cup »

Uncle Nicky's is opening in the space formerly occupied by Dolce Vita. They're well along, opening later this month I suspect. Hours 7am-12am. Coffee, Italian specialties, and alcohol will be offered. Specialties will include light meals and gelato/sorbet. I'm expecting coffee to be an improvement over what was served there before as they've received their La Marzocco espresso machine and have made an arrangement with a highly-regarded local roaster. Formerly espresso was from third coast, an outfit that competes on price. The space is receiving a much-needed makeover. Lighter paint and a lower, lighter bar have opened it up and made it more friendly. They got rid of the old bar, a dark chest high obstacle resembling the side of a Spanish galleon or something out of Pirates of the Caribbean.

ben8jam (original poster)

#22: Post by ben8jam (original poster) replying to crusty cup »

Who is the roaster partner?

Advertisement
crusty cup

#23: Post by crusty cup »

I heard several names mentioned so I'm not sure. The owners are frequently there if you'd like to ask. Coffee will be roasted to their spec.

Opening 30Jan. with soft opening earlier.

It looks really nice in there, with a two group La Marzocco Linea and Simonelli low-rpm temperature stabilized grinder. Decor is light with plenty of natural lighting. Bottled goods are accumulating.

I'm excited to experience the final product. Dolce Vita was a roughly similar all-out effort for the time, but had lately suffered from lack of capital and direction.