Austin cafe reviews - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
ben8jam (original poster)

#11: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

Eastsideloco wrote:The "buy local" beans angle narrows things down. Based on that parameter, I'd look at:

Once Over Coffee Bar on S. 1st (78704). They serve Wild Gift Coffee and always stock a variety. Wild Gift has scored highly in some national roasting competitions. Every coffee I've ever tried of theirs show very well as espresso. I suspect you'll like their house espresso blend. The shop itself has more of an old Austin vibe. It's not high-design, by any stretch. But their back patio is a perfect spot to chill.

Common Grounds Coffee Roasters on E 5th (78702). While Common Grounds has been around for a while, it has mostly been off my radar. Their new shop/roastery/training center is in our neighborhood, which caught my eye. Earlier this year, I noticed that one of their founders scored a perfect 6 for 6 in the SCA's Cup Taster's Competition. While haven't brought any of their coffee home yet, it is high on my specialty coffee to-do list for 2018. The espresso shot I had at their soft open was proper. The buildout is impressive; they worked with quality local talent on the design and construction.

Houndstooth Coffee, multiple locations. The roastery arm for Houndstooth, Tweed, is up north in Dallas. If that counts as local, add them to your list. They have three locations (downtown, north of campus and east), one of which might be close to you during your stay. You can order a "twofer" at Houndstooth and get both of their daily espresso options. That's my go-to order. A lot of local baristas like to go to Figure 8 Coffee when they are off duty; Figure 8 keeps Tweed in their espresso rotation. If you are into interior design, Houndstooth will scratch that itch.
Thanks! I'm staying at the La Quinta across from capital (ugh i know, but it was super cheap) this time and so looks like the Houndstooth is walkable. Excited to try them out tomorrow! Thanks for the write up!

bradenl123

#12: Post by bradenl123 »

Greater Goods new location is really awesome. I love the ambiance and the shots were great as well.

Advertisement
Eastsideloco

#13: Post by Eastsideloco »

ben8jam wrote:Thanks! I'm staying at the La Quinta across from capital (ugh i know, but it was super cheap) this time and so looks like the Houndstooth is walkable. Excited to try them out tomorrow! Thanks for the write up!
Look for Gregory behind the bar (and the Kees van der Westen). Gregory co-wrote the Grounded coffee brewing book. If you are looking for a coffee recommendation, he'll do you solid.

(We stay at La Quintas all across the country. It's one of the few places that always allows dogs at no extra cost. It's Lulu's favorite place to stay.)

ben8jam (original poster)

#14: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

Eastsideloco wrote:Look for Gregory behind the bar (and the Kees van der Westen). Gregory co-wrote the Grounded coffee brewing book. If you are looking for a coffee recommendation, he'll do you solid.

(We stay at La Quintas all across the country. It's one of the few places that always allows dogs at no extra cost. It's Lulu's favorite place to stay.
ya, LQ isn't THAT bad, but it ain't no Embassy Suites :P

Thanks again! I'm impressed that you just have all these pics at the ready! haha

mrjag

#15: Post by mrjag »

I enjoy Figure 8 when I'm in town.

Eastsideloco

#16: Post by Eastsideloco »

Right. For a while I was in the habit of asking Austin baristas where they go for coffee when they are off duty. The top two responses at that time were Figure 8 Coffee Purveyors (78702) and Patika (78704).

Yana

#17: Post by Yana »

Tonefish wrote:Any thoughts on Caffe Medici? Will be near there (and Houndstooth) next month.
I'm always very pleased with everything they serve. The place is great, coffee is perfect, service is exceptional. I also love the location of Medici as it's close to various other places in the downtown.

Advertisement
mrjag

#18: Post by mrjag replying to Yana »

The last time I visited Medici they were sourcing their beans from Cuvee but I noticed that is no longer the case. How does their new roaster compare and any idea on why they decided to switch?

CoffeeCrazy

#19: Post by CoffeeCrazy »

Many more to try in Austin but a few favorites are always Houndstooth, Greater Goods and Fleet in my area.

crusty cup

#20: Post by crusty cup »

Just thought I'd mention - Dolce Vita has closed. They were in continuous operation at 43rd & Duval since 1992, and were the third coffee shop in Austin to serve espresso-based drinks, after Flightpath and Captain Quackenbush's. They were serving Third Coast coffee, perhaps not a premium offering but drinks were expertly prepared and staff were always friendly to me. Another shop is moving in and is rumored to be operable sometime in December with a soft opening then. I believe the seating area will be expanded. Coffee, gelato, and sorbet will be offered.