Any cafe recommendations for Ithaca NY?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Lambretta58
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Lambretta58 »

Will be in Ithaca the first week of August and figured I'd ask if there was any shops that are worth a visit.

Thank you,

Christian
LMWDP #675

Ken5

#2: Post by Ken5 »

Wish I could help you for when my son went to Cornell I was not into coffee at all. I will be up there soon, so I will be looking back at this thread!

Ever been up in Ithaca before? It is gorgeous up there, and not only because of all the gorges! Nice city, colleges gorges, waterfalls, lakes, stores, etc.

dmw010

#3: Post by dmw010 »

ohwhen

#4: Post by ohwhen »

Gimme Coffee used to have a few shops in Brooklyn and I liked them pretty well (a little more than shops with similar bean prices/quality like Variety or Grumpy, if that contextualizes them at all). I always thought it was interesting that their pour over options were made with Clever Drippers, I can't think of another cafe that does that. I visited the flagship in Ithaca. Coffee was fine, very much a college town coffee shop hangout vibe.

Lambretta58 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Lambretta58 (original poster) »

Thank you, we will try Gimme when we are there.

I've never been up there and my kids and I will be up for vacation next week. We all enjoy coffee and try and find different places to go when I'm not making drinks at home
LMWDP #675

Ken5

#6: Post by Ken5 »

Don't know much about this website, or the places mentioned. Good starting point I guess. There are 4 coffee roasters listed in Ithaca.

https://exploringupstate.com/new-york-coffee-roasters/

Hopefully they are good, and I am sure they would have good recommendations for cafes in the area

johnX

#7: Post by johnX »

10 years ago, we were visiting Ithaca fairly frequently and we liked the "Ithaca Coffee Company" 2255 North Triphammer Rd.
Back then a nice coffee experience, with some simple eats.
Ithaca is defiantly an eclectic town.
Have Fun,
John

PS: If you like beer, "Ithaca Beer Company" 122Ithaca Beer Dr. :-)

SteveRhinehart

#8: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I will heartily recommend Gimme! in particular as they were one of the first of the current wave of unionized coffee companies, and have now switched over to a worker-owned cooperative model. I consider their roasting style to be "old school modern," with more roast development than I usually prefer but good sourcing and greens quality.

Copper Horse doesn't have a shop, exactly, but they do have a trailer they take to events in summer and a tasting room at the roastery that is open on Saturdays. Check their social media for details on that.

Ken5

#9: Post by Ken5 »

How was it in Ithaca? Find good places for coffee?

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by LBIespresso »

Sorry I missed this and didn't get to respond in time. I have spent the last 6 years visiting one or both of my kids while they were in school up there.

Gimme used to be better than it is but it is still pretty good.

My favorite place is a plant store on the commons that has a tiny coffee shop. Gas powered lever machine and they are pretty fanatical about coffee. They get their coffee from someone that used to roast for Gimme which could explain the dip in quality at Gimme. If you do go here, go with a backup plan as the "be back soon" sign gets plenty of use here.

There is also Press Cafe just off the commons. Very nice place with good coffee.

CTB is undrinkable. And their bagels are just as bad :lol:

Ithaca Coffee company...I remember their coffee as being an example of what good diner coffee should be. Enjoyable but not memorable.

I am going to miss my trips up there. I hope you had a good time!
LMWDP #580