2020 Specialty Coffee Association Expo in Portland. [CANCELLED] - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Agreed. I'll miss the visit we would have had.

In the opening post I've added updates.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

stefano65
Sponsor

#12: Post by stefano65 »

It is insane and irresponsible for them not to make the suspension (or postdating the show) considering
that we have hotels etc etc and the Italians are getting prepare to ship machine and booth supplies over,
myself and few suppliers that we deal with called and sent emails and they are not returning call nor replying to them, go figure,
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

A single fly-in, fly-out meeting at a Boston hotel is responsible for 77 of Massachusetts' 95 cases. It's stuff like this that's leading to the cancellations of flights and meetings. International conferences like the SCA are at the very top of the ban list when it comes to slowing down the virus's spread.

You can be sure the leadership is working like crazy to postpone; but if what's happening at McCormick Place (Chicago's conference center) is any guide; you an expect a cancellation fairly soon.
Jim Schulman

thirdcrackfourthwave

#14: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

https://www.opb.org/news/article/corona ... ate-brown/

Ban on gatherings of over 250 people in the state of Oregon. The ban is for one month but. . . . what are the odds that doesn't get extended?

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by LBIespresso »

another_jim wrote:A single fly-in, fly-out meeting at a Boston hotel is responsible for 77 of Massachusetts' 95 cases. It's stuff like this that's leading to the cancellations of flights and meetings. International conferences like the SCA are at the very top of the ban list when it comes to slowing down the virus's spread.

You can be sure the leadership is working like crazy to postpone; but if what's happening at McCormick Place (Chicago's conference center) is any guide; you an expect a cancellation fairly soon.
A case from that conference returned to NJ and has already spread it to a school age family member. That school is now closed but who knows if it stopped there. Time will tell but best to be safe.

This would have been my first SCA Expo and I was really excited to attend. Too bad. Stay safe and wash your hands!

At least with 20# of greens to roast I should be ok for a while ;-)
LMWDP #580

stefano65
Sponsor

#16: Post by stefano65 »

We are in Lane county (2 hours form Portland) and just today one of the school district closed them for 2 weeks
and them still no courtesy of saying the cancellation officially.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Coffcarl

#17: Post by Coffcarl »

I am certain this has to do with needing to get out of the contract gracefully. If they announce the postponement/cancellation they will have breached their contract.

I am signed up to volunteer, and have received email saying they are trying to negotiate a postponement.

However, it is unimaginable that they will go through with it. Last year we were washing coffee cups in a portable sink with cold water and hand soap!

Can you imagine the precautions they would have to take this year just to serve out of non-disposable cups, and with multiple customers and baristas face to face, at what is likely to be the height of the pandemic?

day

#18: Post by day »

Hopefully no one here I seriously considering attending. Anyone that thinks it would "be fine" simply hasn't looked at the actual numbers and processes them. If we treat this like we treat the flu, the outcome will be truly horrifying.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone
★ Helpful

thirdcrackfourthwave

#19: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

stefano65 wrote:It is insane and irresponsible for them not to make the suspension (or postdating the show) considering
that we have hotels etc etc and the Italians are getting prepare to ship machine and booth supplies over,
myself and few suppliers that we deal with called and sent emails and they are not returning call nor replying to them, go figure,

Friend's brother and family are holed up in self quarantine in Udine, Friuli-Venezia Giulia. I suspect much of the country is doing the same.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#20: Post by drgary (original poster) »

day wrote:Hopefully no one here I seriously considering attending. Anyone that thinks it would "be fine" simply hasn't looked at the actual numbers and processes them. If we treat this like we treat the flu, the outcome will be truly horrifying.
I agree with this and don't plan to attend, especially since at age 69 I'm more at risk if infected.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!