2020 Specialty Coffee Association Expo in Portland. [CANCELLED]

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

3/24/20: SCA has cancelled the Portland Expo in light of the covid-19 pandemic.

https://coffeeexpo.org/covid19

SCA has also modified its cupping protocol to eliminate that mode of transmission, which I will post in another thread.

Added 3/12: From that thread:
yakster wrote:Oregon has banned mass gatherings of 250 persons or more and California is considering this measure. Santa Clara County has banned mass gatherings of 1000 persons or more.
ira wrote:And yesterdays SCA letter was we were going to postpone the conference but the Oregon Convention Center won't let us out of our contract so it's still on. It will be an interesting show with no attendees or vendors from Italy, China or Korea. I'm sure their tune will change soon.

Hi Everyone:

Please post in this thread if you plan to attend the SCA Expo in Portland, this April. Highlights include:

U.S. Coffee Championship events as follows (corrected from a post below):

USCC - Portland, OR | Oregon Convention Center
April 24-26, 2020: U.S. Coffee in Good Spirits Championship, U.S. Cup Tasters Championship, and U.S. Roaster Championship

(The U.S. Barista Championship and U.S. Brewers Cup are occurring now (2/21-2/23) at Orange County, CA | OC Fair & Event Center)

The show will feature a competition for best new product. It will also include displays of equipment, seminars and poster sessions, a roaster village and official launch party on Thursday, April 23, from 6-9 p.m.

Since this will be local for me, I plan to see the exhibit floor on Sunday, April 21 and hope fellow Home Baristas can get together on Saturday evening, April 20.

Here's the main site for the Specialty Coffee Expo.

Here's the SCA website where you can register.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Sounds like fun, I've enjoyed the past SCAA events I've attended and Portland can be fun, but I'm going to miss this one.

Scott Rao and Matt Perger had planned a Coffee Innovation Summit to dovetail with the SCA events in Portland and Melbourne, but it looks like the CIS (in Portland at least) has been cancelled and replaced with other events.

Both events are at the Irving Street Studio

An Advanced Roasting Class & Book Launch by Scott Rao on April 23rd from 3-6pm

A Coffee-palooza from 9am-6pm
A full day of informal coffee activities including a Decent Espresso Meetup, Extraction and Distribution lecture from Matt Perger of Barista Hustle, Physics of Percolation lecture with astophysist Jonathan Gagné and Coffee Roasting Masterclass and Book Launch with Scott Rao.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

I'll be there for all 3 days of the trade show.

Ira

Coffcarl

#4: Post by Coffcarl »

I am volunteering, trying my hand as Barista on Sunday, if I don't get called out as a fraud!

SteveRhinehart

#5: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I'll be there! If you spot me on the floor please do say hello.
drgary wrote:Hi Everyone:

Please post in this thread if you plan to attend the SCA Expo in Portland, this April. Highlights include:

U.S. Coffee Championship semi-finals, with finals on Sunday, April 21, with these subcategories:

*Barista
*Brewers Cup
*Coffee in Good Spirits
*Cup Taster
*Roaster

The show will feature a competition for best new product. It will also include displays of equipment, seminars and poster sessions, a roaster village and official launch party on Thursday, April 23, from 6-9 p.m.

Since this will be local for me, I plan to see the exhibit floor on Sunday, April 21 and hope fellow Home Baristas can get together on Saturday evening, April 20.

Here's the SCA website where you can register.
A few corrections on the above:

The Expo dates are April 24-26 (looks like those other dates were for the 2019 show in Boston), Re;co begins on the 21st and competitions begin the 23rd (Roaster only) and 24th (Cup Tasters, CIGS).

The US Barista Championship and US Brewers Cup are actually both this weekend this year (on right now!), as the World Championships take place at MICE on May 4-7. US Cup Tasters, Coffee in Good Spirits, and Roasters will all be held in Portland.

Also, if you're able to volunteer I've been told there's always a need for more hands!

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

The schedule isn't called out in the registration page, but the Specialty Coffee Expo main site has all information an attendee might need.
Dan Kehn

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks to Steve and Dan, I've made some corrections and additions to the opening post.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cebseb

#8: Post by cebseb »

I plan on being there for all the days. Looking forward to meeting everyone out there!

keno

#9: Post by keno »

Since I'm local in PDX area I just booked the Sunday Activities Hall and added the optional Exhibit access for a total of $80. Seemed like the least costly way to attend.

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

Well, it's not been canceled yet, but I doubt my wife will let me get on an airplane to fly there unless things change a lot. Also hard to imagine a SCA with no one from Europe or Asia which is what it seems might be happening.

Ira