2018 WBC in Amsterdam

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
BaristaBob

#1: Post by BaristaBob »

Well the 2018 World Barista Championship starts in earnest tomorrow June 20th. I wonder what will be in store this year? The past couple of years has seen an overwhelming trend toward the use of distribution tools, palm tampers, freezing beans, sieving beans, double grinding beans, etc. I see the competitors will have a EK43s at their disposal. Any guess as to what will "set the coffee world ablaze" this year? :lol:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

BaristaBob (original poster)

#2: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

Been watching this off and on during the first round of competition (55 total baristas). Looks like the vast majority of these highly skilled tradesmen (and women) have settled in on using a grooming/distribution tool and a leveling tamper (e.g., LevTamp, EazyTamp, etc). One exception was the US barista (Cole McBride). He used a EK43s from catch cup to pf, a couple of karate chops to the side of the pf to level, then tamp with Pullman big step. Not sure where he placed yet.

Looks like some are freezing their beans, others are warming them. Since they are limited to using either a Peak or EK43s grinder, maybe what you can do to the beans is limited too?!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Advertisement
Headala

#3: Post by Headala »

BaristaBob wrote:...a couple of karate chops to the side of the pf to level...
This sounds amazing...WBC meets Iron Chef meets UFC :lol:

Regarding the other stuff...it seems to me that the WBC is a testing ground for new ideas and there's always quite a few different methods. Then after a few years those ideas either make it into mainstream or die out. So I imagine either freezing or warming can make a small difference under specific circumstances but most people are unlikely to notice the difference in practice.

happycat

#4: Post by happycat »

Thank you.

Interesting to see how big the etzmax is compared to my Sette

Some machines I dont know... #1, third from last...

Exercise espresso... is there a business case for thIs? Hm.... isn't this a trade show?

Some serious faces there. I would think smiles would draw in more potential customers
LMWDP #603

Headala

#5: Post by Headala »

Thank you for the photos!

Tonefish

#6: Post by Tonefish »

Finally some World of Coffee stuff! Thanks for posting! It doesn't look like the WBC though. :roll: :lol:
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Tonefish

#7: Post by Tonefish »

[anonymized] wrote:I heard a LOT of sounds, applause, and hurrays from the part of the hall where the competition was held and I saw Esther Maasdam in passing, dressed in splendor, an evening dress, and with silver hairdo, like an elf princess out of Lord of the Rings so I assume she was presenting part of the WBC but I had no time to catch a glimpse of it.
A sight to see, I am sure!! Looks like a great weekend event. Cheers!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Advertisement
grog

#8: Post by grog »

Who is the two group lever made by? Don't recognize that one.
LMWDP #514

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC replying to grog »

That's the new Slim Jim by Kees. Rocking some slightly newer looking Idro groups.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

grog

#10: Post by grog »

I'm digging the trend towards exposed group springs.
LMWDP #514