[SOLD] '78 Olympia Express Caffarex VT

Used espresso or coffee stuff you hope to sell or buy.
russel

#1: Post by russel »

I've been trying to wind down my restoration projects for several years now, and am finally coming to the end of my domestic machines. This '78 Caffarex VT is in amazing vintage condition. It's sort shocking that something 40 years old still looks this good...I have to assume that it just never received much use. I refreshed the wiring because the sheathing was brittle and crumbly in places, which thanks to Oly's efficiency meant replacing every single wire and the power cord. I swapped the original pump for and extra CEME pump that I had in the parts bin. I recently installed a new FOT vibe pump with a semi-adjustable OPV (which turned out to be a very nice fit). It has a new incandescent e14 bulb to light the tank window & sight glass. Other than that it's in excellent original vintage condition with most parts showing little if any signs of use. The boiler cap, wands, and PF are all in excellent condition. The original pstat is running .9bar to 1.1bar, but I'm going to try upping it when I open it up to put in a new tank level light bulb (e14 base of course, yea!).

I had a channel cut into the PF and added a spring clip. It comes with a double basket.

Mechanical Faults:
See post below!

Cosmetic Faults:
The case has about 10 small chips in the paint here and there. The white steam & hot water knob inserts show some discoloration. The frame shows some paint wear. The feet show some wear to the plastic "chrome". The still original brew switch does not click into place...I don't know if this is or isn't the original behavior, but accurate replacements are hard to come by and I prefer preserving the orIginal details. In that spirit I've kept the PF original despite the fact that the machine really needs a chopped PF to make up for the very limited clearance under the group. The drip tray is a replacement...it's in excellent condition, but it's an interaction that shows the sheet metal seams at the edges and I'm not sure if Oly was still welding and polishing out these corner seams in '78...my '74 Olys did not show such seams.

Price: $1000$800
Shipping: Local pickup in the Boston area strongly preferred, buyer pays shipping costs via FedEx Ground in the US

russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com