[GONE] 1 kg. Garanti electric coffee roaster

Used espresso or coffee stuff you hope to sell or buy.
gscace

#1: Post by gscace »

I have a 1 kg. capacity Has Garanti electric coffee roaster that I would like to give away. It is about 22 years old and I've roasted more than 500 kg of coffee on it since I bought it in 2004. The roaster runs on 240V, 60 hz and should be connected to 30 amp service (same as a clothes dryer). It includes the roaster itself, a cyclone chaff separator, wheeled cart.

As a roaster, it is quite capable, but different to use compared to gas, and has some special quirks. Time constant for electric heating elements is longer than for gas burners, which change heat output almost instantaneously. The roaster relies primarily on power supplied to the heating elements for controlling the roast. Airflow adjustments are possible, but rudimentary. A special quirk is that the manufacturer, Has Garanti, employed a type J thermocouple, connected to a type K readout device. That means that the displayed temperature is quite incorrect, but repeatable I can be inherently lazy about such things, and I've used this roaster for years without ever correcting the readout. Instead I roast on the "Has Garanti Temperature Scale."

Special quirk number 2 is that the roaster is quite powerful and roasts quickly. It is completely manual, which is actually just fine, but requires one to learn to anticipate when to reduce power prior to first crack, and to learn to cycle the heaters on and off to roast at appropriate speeds. It is by no means a fully automated machine.

Why is the roaster free? It's free because I have a new Mill City 1 kg that I'm setting up, and this roaster will need some servicing. It is fine mechanically, but needs to be cleaned internally of accumulated chaff. Electrically speaking, heating elements are cutting out intermittently. The 3 elements ohm out fine, and all cut out together, so the issue is not with the elements. I suspect that it needs a new SSR. Wiring is pretty straightforward, with components mounted on DIN rail - a clean way of doing things.

The roaster is available for pickup only. I won't ship it because it will require crating and I just don't have the time to do that work. I'm local to the DC and Baltimore Maryland area. PM me to learn more.