Zojirushi Water Dispenser for pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
seedlings

Postby seedlings » Jan 05, 2019, 12:35 pm

I was in the market for a drip coffee maker for 60oz+ of coffee. The Technivorm CDT Grand has many mediocre to poor reviews. The Breville Precision Brewer also had some drawbacks. I settled on a Zojirushi CD-WCC40 4 qt water dispenser to 'manual' pourover into a 2.2L pump pot. $140.

The Zojirushi has multiple settings for water temps (208, 195, 175, 160) and holds the temp indefinitely for the cost of a 40W/hr or similar. I received the unit yesterday and it is well built, double-insulated. It brought 4 quarts of cold water to 195F in 30 minutes, and to boil in 40 minutes. On the 208 setting, the water dispenses 2" below the spout at 200F to 201F, which is fine for coffee purposes. Doubtful I will use the lower settings. Once up to temperature, dispensed water is measuring stable.

I've brewed several single cups of coffee, tea and cocoa with ease and convenience.

Today I need to set up an elevated base so the dispenser is higher than the carafe+funnel for large daily quantity (3 coffee drinkers).

Further info forthcoming as I experiment.

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Jan 05, 2019, 3:51 pm

I like 195 for steeping, and the 208 for pourover.

I've had mine for years; one of the most bulletproof things I ever owned. On my old model, moving to a higher setting triggered the "reboil," so it would boil then cool down. If that is still the case, you can shorten the time by switching the machine to standby for about 10 seconds when it hits your target temperature, and then turning it back on.
Jim Schulman

Richard

Postby Richard » Jan 05, 2019, 5:32 pm

another_jim wrote:I've had mine for years; one of the most bulletproof things I ever owned. . . .

That mirrors my experience as well, with one minor hiccup. The model I have, CV-DSC40, has a styrofoam insulation pillow inside the lid. A deteriorated gasket or plastic baffle allowed moisture into the styrofoam and a mold colonized. Zojirushi cheerfully sold me a replacement lid and all is well. This was after years of being on ~ 16-18 hours per day.
Richard J. Wyble

seedlings

Postby seedlings » Jan 05, 2019, 5:59 pm

Made a simplistic base from scrap wood. 2.2 Liter semi-auto pourover is complete.

Coffeecityzen

Postby Coffeecityzen » Jan 12, 2019, 6:23 pm

I used one for a few years and the biggest problem is the temperature that the machine claims is not really what comes out. Eventually, I got tired of it and just replaced it with a temperature variable kettle.

Richard

Postby Richard » replying to Coffeecityzen » Jan 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

Mine, on the other hand, is exceptionally accurate. But one must remember at least three things:

(1) There is an internal water path which absorbs a bit of heat and must be brought up to temp, so one must pull a small amount of water before temp at the spout reaches the set temperature.

(2) Temperature drops radically in the few inches of falling from the spout into a container. So with 208 internal temperature, temp in a receiving vessel will be, more realistically, ~ 198-200, max.

(3) The receptable container must be thoroughly preheated or it will lower the water temperature, perhaps radically, depending on mass and starting temperature of the container.
Richard J. Wyble

voozy

Postby voozy » Jan 16, 2019, 11:48 pm

How are you doing the pourover itself? Huge drip cone or what? I guess the #6 thermos cone from Sweet Marias might work ok with a pump pot, depending on the opening size:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/filtercone- ... nsion.html

I use one of these with a 1 liter Zojirushi thermal carafe and it works great.
Everyone drinks Voozy.