Zojirushi Water Boiler

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
tv79

#1: Post by tv79 »

I recently purchased a Zojirushi hybrid boiler - so far I've been enjoying it as it streamlines my Robot workflow and gets used for tea throughout the afternoon. For those that own one:

1) Are there adjustable stands available? I've been wanting to use it with my Tricolate, but with cup and scale it doesn't quite fit underneath

2) Do you keep it on and at temp 24/7? So far I haven't messed with scheduling and have just been setting it to 208° and leaving it at temp all the time, as I use it throughout the day.

3) How often do you change water? IIRC Zojirushi recommends at least once a day, but I don't go through that much, so I've been changing it once every other day. Can't say I've noticed any difference in taste.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

We use the timer at night so it's off at 8:00 PM & back on at 4:30 AM. Ours just sits on the counter so no idea if stands are available. Between Americanos & my wife's teas our pot gets refilled 2-3 times a day.
LMWDP 267

jpender

#3: Post by jpender »

I looked into these a few years ago as I sometimes forget to hit that switch on the kettle forcing me to wait five minutes. It's a minor annoyance but enough that I researched the Zojirushi boilers. We have one of their rice cookers and are very happy with it. We decided not to get a boiler because of the footprint, the cost, and the belief that filling it would be awkward in our kitchen.

I tried to work through the energy cost of keeping the water hot all the time, using the specifications from Zojirushi. For our electricity rate and anticipated use scenario it worked out to around $45/year. Elsewhere in the country where rates are lower it might be half that (~$20/yr). Using the timer feature to save energy sounds good but really only means a savings of something like $5 per year. Hardly worth the bother. But then again maybe it increases it's lifespan a bit.

How often you dump and replace the water surely depends on the hardness of your water.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

jpender wrote:How often you dump and replace the water surely depends on the hardness of your water.
Our pot gets the same water as our espresso machines so hardness isn't a factor. If there are 2 people in the house using it you'll go through at least one pot a day. For our usage we use the 190° setting & the Quick Temp setting after a refill. Both of which will affect overall energy usage. What does it cost to heat a kettle everytime you want hot water? With the espresso machines & water pot our electric bill still only averages $135 a month year round.
LMWDP 267

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

JohnB. wrote:What does it cost to heat a kettle everytime you want hot water?
We have a kettle that we fill to about 1.5L. I use a small amount for my coffee, maybe 250ml. My wife uses close to 1L when she makes tea. But suppose I heat up a pot and make a cup of coffee and then let the kettle sit for the rest of the day. That means 1.25L of water was boiled unnecessarily. To boil that much water takes 420kJ, or 0.1kWh. The heating efficiency of our uninsulated kettle is something like 70% which means 0.14kWh. If I did that every day for a year, given our electricity rates, that would mean a yearly cost of about $10 to heat unused water.

The keep warm feature of a Zojirushi boiler, even when using a timer to turn it off at night, would cost me about $40/year. In addition, the boilers run upwards to $200. So from a purely cost perspective buying one wouldn't save me any money. It's a tool for convenience.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

jpender wrote: It's a tool for convenience.
Exactly. Using the settings I mentioned before we are only bringing the water to a boil once a day; at 4:30 am when we aren't around to set it to Quick Temp.
LMWDP 267

tv79 (original poster)

#7: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:We use the timer at night so it's off at 8:00 PM & back on at 4:30 AM. Ours just sits on the counter so no idea if stands are available. Between Americanos & my wife's teas our pot gets refilled 2-3 times a day.
Yeah, that was my plan as well..off before bed and on before we wake up. My only concern was whether or not it would reboil. This thing puts out a ton of steam, so in an effort to save our cabinets I try to pull it out from under them when I first refill. Once it's at temp it seems fine.

tv79 (original poster)

#8: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

jpender wrote:I looked into these a few years ago as I sometimes forget to hit that switch on the kettle forcing me to wait five minutes. It's a minor annoyance but enough that I researched the Zojirushi boilers. We have one of their rice cookers and are very happy with it. We decided not to get a boiler because of the footprint, the cost, and the belief that filling it would be awkward in our kitchen.

I tried to work through the energy cost of keeping the water hot all the time, using the specifications from Zojirushi. For our electricity rate and anticipated use scenario it worked out to around $45/year. Elsewhere in the country where rates are lower it might be half that (~$20/yr). Using the timer feature to save energy sounds good but really only means a savings of something like $5 per year. Hardly worth the bother. But then again maybe it increases it's lifespan a bit.

How often you dump and replace the water surely depends on the hardness of your water.
Same here, I looked at them on an off for years. My wife just happened to have a 40% off at Kohls and this model was already on sale, so I decided to pull the trigger. It's been nice to have hot water ready when needed..not that heating up a kettle is that time consuming, but first thing in the morning it's a nice convenience. It does have a rather large footprint, so if counter space is at a premium it may not be practical.

Good to hear it's not a huge difference in cost leaving it on. I suspected that was the case, especially with vacuum insulation. My concern was mainly lifespan, but I'm seeing reviews from people who have had theirs on for 10+ years with no issues.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

tv79 wrote:Yeah, that was my plan as well..off before bed and on before we wake up. My only concern was whether or not it would reboil. This thing puts out a ton of steam, so in an effort to save our cabinets I try to pull it out from under them when I first refill. Once it's at temp it seems fine.
If you select Quick Temp & have it set lower then Boil it will only heat to the selected temp. Heating to 190° doesn't put out any noticeable steam.
LMWDP 267

tv79 (original poster)

#10: Post by tv79 (original poster) » replying to JohnB. »

Thanks, I only really notice the steam for a minute or 2 near the end of the initial boil when the unit is under the cabinets. Once it's at 208° I haven't noticed it at all.