XBloom all-in-one coffee brewer (Kickstarter) - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SutterMill

#41: Post by SutterMill »

Milligan wrote: Perhaps that is where folks would want to use the reusable basket but that defeats one of the cool things about scanning a pod's brew in. However I could see roasters adding an RFID to bagged coffee so it would recognize the recipe while still using the reusable basket.
If this were implemented it would be brilliant. It could potentially bring more roasters on board. I'm guessing it would ultimately hurt the business model they are trying to create with the cup/subscription package and therefore not be used.

After watching how easy the RFID tag was to take off then why not reuse them for bulk coffees assuming they are reusable.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#42: Post by Milligan »

It may be cheaper/easier in the long run for the machine to have a list of coffees in the app to choose from. Roasters could upload their recipe to a batch number or QR code instead of having the RFIDs on everything. Lots of possibilities if the concept takes off for them.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by Shakespeare »

Jonk wrote:It looks like it could be a nice brewer. Don't care for the pod system though - if they're truly about sustainability they should offer some kind of filter holder or reusable filter as well, otherwise it's just a Nespresso in disguise.
The other unknown is the grinder. As long as it can be bypassed..

*****A reusable filter holder is Now included..So, this will be perfect for your choice of coffee you have...*****
Another change has been made to let the grinder be used as a stand alone. For individuals who might want to use it for an
aeropress as an example.

Of course this will hurt the ' cup/subscription package model they first designed' but there is room for both.
The prescription user and the highly motivated coffee idealist.
It was smart to change this, from a pod only system.
This will add to additional sales of this intelligent coffee brewer system.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by Shakespeare »

5ONEohhh wrote:My wife would love this brewer when I'm away from home. However, like others, I had the same question about the seal on the xpods. I emailed them, just waiting for a response. And will follow up.
Check the newest video review..it will answer most questions and the additional updates that have been improved
I agree there will be a need to update the seal on the coffee pods .. BUT now there is the reusable pod..just put in 15 grams of your fresh coffee.

titan

#45: Post by titan »

Since "no one" here seems to be sold on the idea of the pods, what differentiates this machine from Gevi 4-in-1 which seems to have a better grinder?

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#46: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ I was thinking about that the other day. Maybe the buy-in from roasters and extra marketing behind xBloom? I'm feeling cynical about this project at the moment, so I expect about the same number of people talking about Gevi today (to wit: few) will be talking about the xBloom at this time next year once the influencers become distracted by whatever has come out in the meantime.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by Shakespeare »

titan wrote:Since "no one" here seems to be sold on the idea of the pods, what differentiates this machine from Gevi 4-in-1 which seems to have a better grinder?

What are the differences? Where do I begin.. First, I offered the Lance Hendrick video and if that isn't enough look at Scott Rao's.
Both of whom are on their advisory board and have been offering their expertise in formulating the direction of its development for many months.

Yes, I agree with the Gevi having a better grinder...But, the XBLOOM has an acceptable grinder for what is needed.

The Gevi corporation makes hundreds of products...The Gevi 4 in 1 device was one of the poorest designed and executed brewers that is on the market. The XBLOOM and the Gevi aren't even similar.

For example the water flow of the Gevi is totally substandard. It just pours and leaves the beans over wet, unwet or not.

The XBloom uses remarkable ingenuity in its water flow..
The water is made to cause a straight or circular stream using a electric static charge that shapes and directs the water flow.
This provides a precise water shape and speed wanted to wet the beans.
The exact temperature of water with the proportion and direction of water needed for an exceptional pour-over.

Including different blooming options and flow options programed for each individual coffee provided or to your liking.

This is also controlled by a onboard measuring scale that instantly and constantly provides updates and measurements of water being supplied to the beans. If there is slightly to much water to the beans. The water flow will stop and then start when the water to the beans is in the exact proportion expected.

So, the exact amount and temperature water is provided to the beans in proportions provided by the coffee roasters programming for their beans and their roast levels. Or yours.
There are many other improvements made to this device. And the video and others will help.
What is remarkable is their willingness to listen and update changes to this brewer that are recommended or needed.
Changes to the grinder and a reusable pod have been offered and accepted recently.

titan

#48: Post by titan »

Shakespeare wrote: What are the differences? Where do I begin.. First, I offered the Lance Hendrick video and if that isn't enough look at Scott Rao's.
Both of whom are on their advisory board and have been offering their expertise in formulating the direction of its development for many months.
Yes, I've watched the two since I could be in the market for 2023 for such an automated brewer. I've also watch Lance's review of Gevi which was also quite positive.
Shakespeare wrote: Yes, I agree with the Gevi having a better grinder...But, the XBLOOM has an acceptable grinder for what is needed.
I mean, the grinder is one of the most important pieces.
Shakespeare wrote: The Gevi corporation makes hundreds of products...The Gevi 4 in 1 device was one of the poorest designed and executed brewers that is on the market. The XBLOOM and the Gevi aren't even similar.
I am interested in this. Can you point out where I can read more about Gevi's execution flaws?
Shakespeare wrote: For example the water flow of the Gevi is totally substandard. It just pours and leaves the beans over wet, unwet or not.
I am not sure where you got this from. In Lance's video, the flow was exactly what he set it for measured by his scale. And the timing of the pours are programmable. What is missing in Gevi 4-in-1 IMO is the integrated scale to stop the water and avoid a potential overflow and the shake.
Shakespeare wrote: The XBloom uses remarkable ingenuity in its water flow..
The water is made to cause a straight or circular stream using a electric static charge that shapes and directs the water flow.
This provides a precise water shape and speed wanted to wet the beans.
I can see your enthusiasm for this, but to me it is more a gimmick than an actual useful feature. The three columns of water from Gevi are capable of uniformly wetting the bed, judging from the videos.
Shakespeare wrote: The exact temperature of water with the proportion and direction of water needed for an exceptional pour-over.
Including different blooming options and flow options programed for each individual coffee provided or to your liking.
Again, Lance got quite consistent temperature measurements from the Gevi. And I don't know where the two machines differ in terms of programmability.
Shakespeare wrote: So, the exact amount and temperature water is provided to the beans in proportions provided by the coffee roasters programming for their beans and their roast levels. Or yours.
This again goes to the usability of the pods. You can either not like the pods because of bad execution from XBLOOM (expensive, not air tight) or conceptually not being into another Nespresso approach to coffee.
Regarding the input from the roasters, they can also share their recipes for Gevi. I think this is a point of similarity.
Shakespeare wrote: There are many other improvements made to this device. And the video and others will help.
What is remarkable is their willingness to listen and update changes to this brewer that are recommended or needed.
Changes to the grinder and a reusable pod have been offered and accepted recently.
I agree. This is quite laudable.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by Shakespeare »

TITAN; Enjoy your GEVI 4 in 1...

heytchap

#50: Post by heytchap »

Woooooooo. We're close!