XBloom all-in-one coffee brewer (Kickstarter) - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SutterMill

#31: Post by SutterMill »

Milligan wrote:
  1. Pods are bigger than I thought. Bulk packaging must be rather large to hold those. They look to be 3-4x the volume of a k-cup. Not a fan of how much waste there is. It would be interesting to know the total weight of the pod without coffee and compare that to a V60 filter paper.
I think you struck a great balance on all points but the first.

The size of the packaging makes sense. Beans have a fair amount of air trapped between, not to mention how some beans appear to grind with far more air pockets than others. Not to mention leaving room for the bloom.
The machine looks amazing and appears to provide a great pourover. The biggest question I have is who is the machine for? The people I know that drink pourover are doing so because they enjoy the experience and flavor. The machine doesnt save much if any time, is expensive, needs a subscription to work as intended.
The upside is you can free up some counter space by getting rid of your grinder and other pourover gear. Perhaps to some thats worth justifying the expense.

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by cpreston »

Well, theoretically it should allow one to pop in a pod of any of a wide range of beans, setting itself automatically from the rfid tag, and deliver a good cup with no dialing in. You could rotate through a wide variety of coffees more easily. And though it takes the same time, it runs unattended.

GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by GregoryJ »

Lance said it's for people intimidated by specialty coffee. Those who don't want to buy a $100 kettle, $200 kettle and $300 grinder before they can start trying to brew some coffee.

Milligan

#34: Post by Milligan replying to GregoryJ »

I thought that was somewhat strange of him to say though. There are cheaper alternatives. $20 V60, $20 scale, $60 kettle, and a $100 hand grinder are a good way to start.

It is also curious how $600 worth of the higher end coffee gear is somehow a hinderance but a $799 machine isn't?

I get how someone may be intimidated by the technique of brewing pour over but the cost is relatively low to start.

Milligan

#35: Post by Milligan »

SutterMill wrote:I think you struck a great balance on all points but the first.

The size of the packaging makes sense. Beans have a fair amount of air trapped between, not to mention how some beans appear to grind with far more air pockets than others. Not to mention leaving room for the bloom.
The machine looks amazing and appears to provide a great pourover. The biggest question I have is who is the machine for? The people I know that drink pourover are doing so because they enjoy the experience and flavor. The machine doesnt save much if any time, is expensive, needs a subscription to work as intended.
The upside is you can free up some counter space by getting rid of your grinder and other pourover gear. Perhaps to some thats worth justifying the expense.
I agree that the pod is sized right for the application after viewing it but it struck me as rather large in general and when compared to K cups. I'm just imagining the kcup boxes you see at the store with 48 pods. Now 3x the size of that box for the same servings

I usually drink 2-3 "cups" a day so that would add up quickly. I'm wondering in normal use for a few drinks each morning if the packaging will start to feel excessive even if the size is needed for the application.

Perhaps that is where folks would want to use the reusable basket but that defeats one of the cool things about scanning a pod's brew in. However I could see roasters adding an RFID to bagged coffee so it would recognize the recipe while still using the reusable basket.

bonjing

#36: Post by bonjing »

Has anyone mentioned or caught how much the pods are going to cost, what quantities you have to buy, shipping costs?

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#37: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Their Kickstarter FAQ mentions pods will start at $0.99 each.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

bonjing

#38: Post by bonjing replying to jbviau »

Thank you

Finley72

#39: Post by Finley72 »

Decided to back the project. As some have mentioned, I am not the target customer either. Having said that, being able to use my own beans opens up more options for the other members of my house who don't want to learn how to do espresso and ask me to make coffee. Now they just weigh 15 grams of beans, put in a new filter and go. So if I'm not around or one person wants decaf they can make an easy cup of coffee.

tglodjo

#40: Post by tglodjo »

Finley72 wrote:Decided to back the project. As some have mentioned, I am not the target customer either. Having said that, being able to use my own beans opens up more options for the other members of my house who don't want to learn how to do espresso and ask me to make coffee.
Exactly my rationale. I have family who visit and wake up super early. This will let them get good coffee early while I get to continue my beauty sleep. Or when our machine is out of service for repair or something else (powder coating at the moment), my wife can still make herself coffee even though she doesn't want to learn how to do pour over. And not gonna lie, there are just some days I'm not in the mood to manual brew. Love that I'll have another option.