XBloom all-in-one coffee brewer (Kickstarter) - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Milligan

#11: Post by Milligan »

I'm not sure how it is appreciably better than other middle tier drip coffee makers for most folks? I see that they are trying to compare it more with barista-style equipment like pour over brewers, kettles, hand grinders, and such. It seems that the target audience is someone who cares enough to spend $18+ per bag of coffee but not enough to have/learn to use a grinder and decent coffee maker?

For example, my wife uses our Technivorm with the Fellow grinder. I use either a V60 or Aeropress for my coffee. I've tasted both methods extensively and there is a difference that I an tailor on my end but, to be honest, its quite nuanced at that point. Once you get to a technivorm, good grinder, and freshly ground well roasted beans you are already 90% the way there. I can get to 95% the way there with my ritual that I enjoy, but I'm not so sure the market is there for that last 5% (or if this machine can even get as close as I can...)

I do like the idea of the roaster being able to have some control over the brew method. Frankly, I wish more roasters published even basic brew information. Some do but it is usually just copy/paste their generic formula. Very few go as far as giving recipes for specific beans/roasts.

Anything that helps people appreciate specialty coffee more then I'm for, just not sure if this is the way.

As a side note, I think the experimentation with new ways to do instant coffees is more exciting for wide acceptance of specialty coffees. It swings the other way, get rid of all the equipment and all you need is hot water. That is the best consumer experience.

Jonk

#12: Post by Jonk »

I have never had coffee brewed in a Technivorm that I enjoyed. I sure hope this is a step up in quality.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#13: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Update on pod seal/freshness from the Kickstarter comments section:
xBloom wrote:To ensure the freshness, the xPods will be roasted to order and every 8 pods will be packaged into a bag to seal them.
I infer from the above that the pods will *not* be individually wrapped, so once the seal on a bag of 8 pods is broken one should expect to get staling as usual.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Jeff
Team HB

#14: Post by Jeff »

Thinking out loud, not implying either good or bad -- 8 pods is probably around or less than a "half a bag" of coffee in many parts of the world (250 g, 8 oz ~ 225 g, 10 oz ~ 340 g. I suspect a lot of people open and hold "a bag" on the counter or in a cabinet for a week or so, if not longer for light roasts.

Edit: "Open" was intended to mean that the roaster's seal had been broken and that it was either a zip-closure pouch or kept in another reasonably airtight container.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#15: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Hey, Jeff. I mean, I don't leave the bag *open* in a cabinet for a week! Whether or not the unsealed nature of these pods is an issue will depend on usage, sure; for me, personally, if I were using them (which I don't plan to) I'd want to keep the pods in an airtight container after I cracked a bag of 8.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias
★ Helpful

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by cpreston »

I think this is a very interesting idea and well thought out, but I have limited confidence that it will end up really marketable at such a high price over the long term. But it may well also inspire some more good automatic single-cup brewers. I don't know of one.

In addition to the pods, I hope they come up with a way (rumored) to use a reusable brewing cup so I could easily use any coffee. It could maybe also serve as a measurement scoop. (I think for a given bean, volume could substitute fairly well for weight in terms of consistency.)

I backed it as an experiment. If it actually does work as claimed, I will be happy to simplify my life. I want very good coffee but I'm willing to give up a little for the convenience.

If not, then OK, it's still scale, kettle, thermometer, aeropress, timer. The fastest way I have been able to find so far.

malling

#17: Post by malling »

Count me sceptical, I just don't see how this will ever get a foothold on the market. The coffee is more expensive then if you buy said coffee at said roasters, coffee that by any record is already way above what most people are willing to pay. That means it's target audience is the "casual" ones of those who already pay premium for their coffee and so far for most part have been brewing said coffee in a more manual fashion like through a drip brewer. How are you going to get those individual in high enough numbers into a very expensive pod type machine with limited selection and higher prices then what they currently are paying, sorry I just don't see it.

This try to get speciality coffee more accessible but making speciality coffee even higher then the already high prices and making it even harder to get hands on dos the exact opposite, this for me end up as an expensive luxury item for the few. It might be well built, it might make it easier to get the coffee as the roaster intended and remove some of the guesswork but I cannot help thinking it missed the mark.

It needs to get a lot cheaper offerings on board if this ever shall attract other then a niche of the speciality coffee scene or else it will fail at what it sets out to do. If you read though the comments of backers it's obvious it's people already well within the scene.

Most people will never ever dream off paying anywhere near the prices charged for speciality coffee at their home and getting them to pay a premium for a machine with a closed system with limited availability, who is this going to attract that isn't already well into speciality coffee... This unfortunately look like the classic not done your market research device.

Milligan

#18: Post by Milligan »

malling wrote: Most people will never ever dream off paying anywhere near the prices charged for speciality coffee at their home and getting them to pay a premium for a machine with a closed system with limited availability, who is this going to attract that isn't already well into speciality coffee... This unfortunately look like the classic not done your market research device.
I agree. This is what I was getting at in my post. You've got someone that is willing to pay a hefty premium for specialty coffee but not willing to learn to do a basic pour over but demands a marginal increase of quality over a higher end drip machine. Just seems very narrow.

Shenrei

#19: Post by Shenrei »

Their Kickstarter was updated to include information on their reusable dripper:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/xb ... ts/3632383

Like Jeff, I did get to taste the brew this machine produced and it was great. I originally backed this as something to give to my SO's parents who enjoy good coffee but can't be bothered to brew it properly. However, I just may end up keeping it.

With this, the target market will expand and will now include people that rely on batch brew filter machines (Ratio Six, Technivorm, and even the cheaper budget Mr. Coffee-like options). This is basically a super-evolved Technivorm OneCup with an included coated and aligned 1zpresso K class grinder, app control and dial in, pod and coffee options, all along with minimal cleanup and a small-sleek footprint. One of the reasons I don't use my batch brew filter machines as often as I would like is due to the minimum batch required to get a decent cup, usually 36g-40g minumum. Now I can brew a single cup just for me and use my own beans and dial-in using the app. And the grinder is built-in. I see a lot of uses for this such as personal (non-commercial) office use if noise isn't an issue, creating and sharing recipies with friends who are drinking the same coffee, making brew for yourself when you don't feel like doing a manual pourover, making a low ratio coffee concentrate for when you want a milk drink or something iced, etc. It's also something to take with you to social gatherings and now you don't have to bring a separate grinder and kettle and brewing device and decanter. For the novice, they can now either buy pods or try different coffees at their local supermarket and dial-in via app.

For the non and not-non enthusiast, this somewhat streamlines the cost and functions of a grinder, kettle, and brewing aparatus + bonus features into a small all-in-one unit at a cheaper (at least at this Kickstarter price) price.
- Tim

tv79

#20: Post by tv79 »

Like others I also assumed I wasn't their target market, but the ability to use your own beans is making me seriously consider backing it. I could see this coming in especially handy when guests are in town, since each person could easily make their own.