Wilfa Black Precision

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
sversimo

#1: Post by sversimo »

Hi,

I know this might be a long shot, but has anyone used the Wilfa Black Precision? Wilfa is a Norwegian brand so I dont expect that many people even know about it, but you never know.

If someone has used it, please share your experience.

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

As far as I can tell, this product is just starting to be offered for sale. Maybe someone here has seen a prototype or pre-sale model at a conference or similar?

It's a beautiful machine and an interesting design collaboration.

It's also retailing for $410 (black) or $480 (brushed aluminum). While that price includes a grinder and a scale, as a special introductory offer, the coffee maker market seems pretty limited at that price.

Designers and architects will love it.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Looks a lot like the Alessi espresso maker that could manage about 170F at the brew point. But maybe there's a little hot spring concealed in that vast expanse of cold brushed aluminum. :wink:

In general, products that call themselves "precision" because their looks are very precise may not be paying all that much attention to the precision of the outcome.

On the other hand; it is quite certainly a nice piece of counter candy :P
Jim Schulman

oktyone

#4: Post by oktyone »

Despite the looks, this brewer seems very well thought out.. having a sort of "diaphragm" to control the drip speed hence the ability to brew more or less coffee and adjusting extraction seems like an incredibly simple yet effective solution i've never seen on coffee brewers before.

Not sure how the patent works, but i would love to see manual pourover drip cones with this kind of mechanism, it would solve the problem once and for all of how big should the opening at the bottom be, also if the diaphragm closes the hole entirely it could work as a Clever type immersion brewer.

But yeah, 410$ is way too much, at least they have a cheaper option though, the Wilfa Svart Manuel, same brewer but with a PID kettle to let you pour the water instead of the machine doing it.

sversimo (original poster)

#5: Post by sversimo (original poster) »

The drip brewer is isolated, so it wouldn't make any sens if the cold aluminium is in contact with the water..

I believe its been on the market for about 5-6 months, but I havent heard about it before I read about it in an airplane catalog of all things.

Its a stiff price, even here in Norway, but its not that high compared to the very popular Moccamaster.

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

I'm surprised that not many have been following Mr Wendelboe...
http://timwendelboe.no/2013/01/wilfa-svart-presisjon/

Intrepid510

#7: Post by Intrepid510 »

I have no hands on experience with it, but have seen people take about it a little bit. I think Dear Coffee I Love You has a few impressions about the machine. Seems like a very awesome brewer, however there are more economical ways to go.

edit: http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/?s=wilfa

Nothing on the precision other than the hint about it. However, there is information about the manual version.

#8: Post by sversimo (original poster) »

We have one in the house now, if someone should want to know anything about it ;)

Edit: Not that is matters, but we have two in the house now..

Edgar Grefve

#9: Post by Edgar Grefve »

sversimo wrote:We have one in the house now, if someone should want to know anything about it ;)
yes actually I would like to know one thing :) have you been able to measure the water temperature at brew point? especially during the first seconds... if the water gets hot enough right away or does it take a while?

This is the problem Im experiencing with an almost new Moccamaster KB 40. I normally only make 2 cups of coffee at a time but its only at the end of the brewing process that the water reaches 92 - 95 C. Im very picky about this :) so I wonder if Wilfa Black Precision manages to do better job here...

also I wonder if the hot plate is actually heated I know on Wilfa manuell it isnt.

#10: Post by sversimo (original poster) »

Hi,

The hot plate is heated for 30 min, after that the machine turns off automatically. It keeps the coffee nice and warm, although you should pour the coffee in a thermos according to one of the designers.

So far Im very pleased with the machine, I have a Wilfa Manual at work, but the Wilfa precision makes a better tasting coffee. (Im no expert on manual brewers..)

In order to answer your question I did a simple test.

Setup:
Wilfa Svart Precision
0.5L of water, temperature around 10C
Omega k-type probe
V&A VA18B multimeter reader
Artisan

There are 6 small holes for distributing hot water from the Wilfa Precision. If one is clogged the water flow increases on the other holes, and that is what happened on the first trial. The placement of the k-type probe disturbed the water distribution and gave a bad reading of the temperature. Second time around I adjusted the placing of the k-type on the go, giving a good first reading but than the probe got a bit too hot to handle.

NB! The water flow is not constant, Its runs in very small intervals, making the temperature reading looking awful. The water is not evenly distributed on all 6 holes at the same time. There seems to be a main stream of water coming through one of the holes at a given time, but which hole the main stream of water is passing through changes constantly. This again gives an awful temperature reading when your only measuring the temperature from one of the 6 holes.

Conclusion / answer:

The temperature from the Wilfa Black Precision is at the correct temperature for brewing coffee from the first few drops of hot water, 95.5 Celsius. (204 Fahrenheit)