Which variable of pourover do you hate the most?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
5cylinders

#1: Post by 5cylinders »

For me, pouring, or agitation, wins (over water). Tons of recipes, a lot of fiction, very thin science. High, low, spiral, center, spin, stir, melodrip, lilydrip, turbulence, fluidised bed, one fat single pour, 3 pours, .4 pours, 1000 pours ... Poison is far more simple, and less suicidal.

dsc106

#2: Post by dsc106 »

That even if you get all of our variables right, coffee is an organic compound and the rules change everyday off roast, and are also impacted by atmospheric conditions such as humidity. That even the same brand of coffee from the same roaster, re-ordered from a new batch, won't be exactly the same. It means there is no such thing as "arriving" - the perfect brew is always a moving target.

Which I suppose makes coffee a very Zen like experience, and I am learning to accept and embrace it for that. (As evidenced by some of my posts, still a work in progress :D). To enjoy the fact that perfection is an illusion, it's dynamic by nature (like nature), and to simply be present in the process and enjoy the cup for what it is each day. Some days will be better, some days will be off. That's the name of the game. Frustration only comes when I think too much like an engineer and don't accept it.

No sunrise or sunset will ever be the same, but that doesn't make them less enjoyable. Some are more spectacular than others. They're all sunsets/sunrises. There's science behind it, but at the end of the day, the whole point is it's an art. The fun is the process, but if that process becomes unenjoyable, than the point is missed.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
jdrobison

#3: Post by jdrobison »

I think I keep my pour and agitation pretty consistent and what I'm after is repeating the same process every time so I'm pretty good with those 2 variables. The one that confounds me is whether to do a spin to level the bed. On the one hand, when I do the spin and the water drains, the bed is pretty and flat. On the other hand, do I care how pretty it is and did that leveling honestly make any difference at all? And it's by far the most inconsistent piece and will sometimes lead to fines clogging the paper and other times not at all.

Ejquin

#4: Post by Ejquin »

Well, the desire for a flat bed is to avoid having grinds "high and dry" so you have a more even extraction. The swirling helps to achieve that, also adds some agitation and helps to destroy any channels that form. So those are all good reasons to swirl / spin, though over swirling / spinning can definitely lead to filter clogging and actually increase channeling. That's where the art comes in...

jdrobison

#5: Post by jdrobison » replying to Ejquin »

I do a gentle, thorough stir with a small spoon during the bloom to ensure everything is fully wet which, I'm pretty sure is going to mitigate potential for channels just as well. I think. And if swirling at the end is to get all the high and dry grounds, this is where I'm skeptical of the benefit. By that time you only have 15% of brewing left to be done and I'm just not seeing any difference by then.