What's your most frequently used dripper? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Tj.

#21: Post by Tj. »

I use the hario woodneck the most. I most enjoy the reusable filters and it performs wells for the range of doses I use, 15-30g.
LBIespresso wrote:most mornings...are you caffeine shaming me :lol:
Hah. You certainly aren't alone.

Ora

#22: Post by Ora »

normally i use the origami. though i find it hard to get a good extraction with kalita papers using small doses (12g). i think its a bit easier with kono papers.

just received the april brewer. even though i messed up the recipe, a 12g brew tastes like its extracted nicely with sweet notes. i think in the future ill be using the april more.

Ora

#23: Post by Ora »

boren wrote:The Kalita filters are bleached, so I normally don't even bother rinsing them. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference with the other filters, but out of habit if the filter isn't white I normally rinse it and throw away the water.
jia ning du the 2019 brewer cup champ said she prefers 185 filters to the 155 because she thinks there is less of a taste. so i take it as the kalita papers do impart some unwanted flavors.

makspyat

#24: Post by makspyat »

1. Kalita Wave 155 for 1 cup - little Kalita gets the most use,
2. V60 for 2 cups
3. Kalita Wave 185 for 2 cups

Kalita Wave 185 is not my favorite - it is prone to stalling. I drilled larger holes in the bottom of 185 (not my idea), to increase the flow rate - I still like V60 better. Having said all that, the little Kalita 155 is my darling and every day driver.

boren (original poster)

#25: Post by boren (original poster) »

@makspyat - the Kalita Wave 155 looks interesting. Any recommendation between the different materials (glass, stainless Steel, ceramic)?

Also, what amount of coffee/water do you use with it? Can you get a good result with a small amount (e.g. 7 gram of coffee)?

Thanks!

makspyat

#26: Post by makspyat »

boren wrote:the Kalita Wave 155 looks interesting. Any recommendation between the different materials (glass, stainless Steel, ceramic)?
Also, what amount of coffee/water do you use with it? Can you get a good result with a small amount (e.g. 7 gram of coffee)?
I use a stainless steel version of Kalita 155. It performs noticeably better than it is bigger cousin 185 - I did not have to drill any holes in 155. As a bonus, the stainless steel version is virtually indestructible and you do not have to baby the brewer.

I tried quite a few recipes, and ended up liking Kurasu's recipe the most.

The end result in the cup will depend on:
1. how slowly and evenly you pour water - avoid splashes, maintain the distance from the surface and the flow rate.
2. gooseneck kettle is absolutely necessary.
3. you may need a good grinder that produces as few fines as possible. I use Vario-W with steel burrs, but there is a bunch of great manual grinders. I also saw glowing reviews of Fellow Ode.
4. fresh, aromatic beans.

I never brewed 7g of coffee - it is too little :D I just follow the recipe - 15g in / 250g out.

Good luck!

DamianWarS

#27: Post by DamianWarS »

makspyat wrote:1. Kalita Wave 155 for 1 cup - little Kalita gets the most use,
2. V60 for 2 cups

Kalita Wave 185 is not my favorite - it is prone to stalling. I drilled larger holes in the bottom of 185 (not my idea), to increase the flow rate - I still like V60 better. Having said all that, the little Kalita 155 is my darling and every day driver.
a mesh at the bottom corrects this without the need to drill larger holes. you can use a tea strainer or I have used a plastic mesh sheeting I bought at a hardware store. super easy to cut into any shape and no stalling.

makspyat

#28: Post by makspyat »

a mesh at the bottom corrects this without the need to drill larger holes. you can use a tea strainer or I have used a plastic mesh sheeting I bought at a hardware store. super easy to cut into any shape and no stalling.
I use a dispersion screen from Flair. It matches the size of the bottom of 185 & 155

However, the dispersion screen alone does not fix the slow flow rate for 185. It helps with stalled coffee. The dripper stopped overextracting after I slightly enlarged the holes.

bobR

#29: Post by bobR »

DamianWarS wrote:a mesh at the bottom corrects this without the need to drill larger holes. you can use a tea strainer or I have used a plastic mesh sheeting I bought at a hardware store. super easy to cut into any shape and no stalling.
I use the December Dripper the most probably because I like to experiment. Its similar to the Kalita Wave 185 but not prone to stalling as far as I see. It also has three flow rate settings if you have any problems at the lowest flow. My favorite method is to bloom with the zero setting (no flow) and first pour still at zero for an immersion hold, 3 and 4 pours at setting 1 (lowest flow) and 5 and 6 pours at setting 2. Six total pours. Not as complicated as it might sound but certainly more complicated than it needs to be! Usually the different flow settings are used to optimize flow for different coffee doses but that's not typically what I've been using them for.
My second most used dripper is the V60 02.
My third most it the Goat Story Gina Dripper which I usually just use for full immersion brewing like a Clever Dripper.

Acavia

#30: Post by Acavia »

makspyat wrote:1. Kalita Wave 155 for 1 cup - little Kalita gets the most use,
2. V60 for 2 cups

Glass 185 will drain faster.