What's your most frequently used dripper? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
happycat

#11: Post by happycat »

boren wrote:Most of the time I'm using a dripper which is hardly ever mentioned here - the Kalita Caffe Uno.
My wife brought one of those back for me from Japan. I could never do much with it. I don't have the filters. Any tips?
LMWDP #603

Yan

#12: Post by Yan »

Arent the cafe Uno using common Kalita/Melita Filter Trapezoid style, it's the same as small clever drip,1-2 cup, classic Kalita (non wave) dripper.
I have seen several brand Abaca, Brewista, Kalita, Melita, Filtropa...etc

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
happycat

#13: Post by happycat » replying to Yan »

I've used folded Melitta ones but never got results that I liked.
LMWDP #603

Yan

#14: Post by Yan »

I have same experience as you, I have the full size Kalita drip (taller than Uno), using the Abaca filters the results wasn't as good as my V.60.
i use the same Abaca filter folded as V.60 filter and put on the V.60 it's definitely has better results than the Kalita one.

Same here still trying to figure out how to improve the result...

boren (original poster)

#15: Post by boren (original poster) »

The Uno works with Kalita 101 filters, or any similar shape filters from other brands. I also have good experience with these brandless Chinese filters.

As for brewing, it's very simple. So much so that I don't really need to rely on the scale except for the final amount, or do any special timing. I just add 7g of ground coffee (setting 30 on my 1Zpreso JX Pro grinder), then pour a minimal amount of water that's enough cover the coffee and let it bloom. Once the blooming water goes through I slowly and with a circular motion pour the rest of the water, until the scale shows 125ml. That's it.

The Kalita filters are bleached, so I normally don't even bother rinsing them. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference with the other filters, but out of habit if the filter isn't white I normally rinse it and throw away the water.

STG

#16: Post by STG »

V60 02... Along with every filter under the sun. Tabless Hario 40ct and Cafec Abaca are the best.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a Kalita after seeing them use it at Dayglow and Dune in CA.

I just wonder if another dripper is what I need lol.

Can anyone experienced with both comment on their differences?

happycat

#17: Post by happycat »

boren wrote:The Uno works with Kalita 101 filters, or any similar shape filters from other brands. I also have good experience with these brandless Chinese filters.

As for brewing, it's very simple. So much so that I don't really need to rely on the scale except for the final amount, or do any special timing. I just add 7g of ground coffee (setting 30 on my 1Zpreso JX Pro grinder), then pour a minimal amount of water that's enough cover the coffee and let it bloom. Once the blooming water goes through I slowly and with a circular motion pour the rest of the water, until the scale shows 125ml. That's it.

The Kalita filters are bleached, so I normally don't even bother rinsing them. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference with the other filters, but out of habit if the filter isn't white I normally rinse it and throw away the water.
Thanks. I forgot how tiny a Japanese "cup" was. I'll dig it out and give it another go.
LMWDP #603

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
burninator

#18: Post by burninator »

STG wrote:V60 02... Along with every filter under the sun. Tabless Hario 40ct and Cafec Abaca are the best.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a Kalita after seeing them use it at Dayglow and Dune in CA.

I, also, primarily use the V60-02 (plastic). I use tabbed, but have been meaning to try tables.
As far as Wave 185 vs V60-02, I think the differences to me are:
- You can do a bigger batch in Wave 185
- V60-02 is what I reach for when you want to highlight more acidity

Not much, but that's my two cents.

Yan

#19: Post by Yan »

STG wrote:V60 02... Along with every filter under the sun. Tabless Hario 40ct and Cafec Abaca are the best.

If you like more balanced taste you can try Kalita Wave especially the glass one have better flow rate than Ceramic, stainless is the slowest one.
But if you prefer more bright taste you already experience with V.60, I use those two back to back and enjoy both method.

Btw I use the same model made by Tiamo also have a better flowrate than the ceramic one, the Tiamo very damn cheap last month I buy offline in local strore around 3.5 usd.

Left Kalita Wave ceramic , right Tiamo Wave plastic

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by DamianWarS »

I have a load of brewers and collecting anyone I can get my hands on. broadly speaking pour-over brewers are like card games, you only really have the classics of poker, euchre, and rummy and everything else some variant of that with the odd "uno" type coming up. with pour-overs you have pure cones (hario), clamshell (melitta) and flat bottom. most everything else is some variant of that (with the odd "uno" type varient still)