What's the best small brewer + recipes

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Ad-85

#1: Post by Ad-85 »

My favorite brewer is blue bottle dripper but sometimes I want a smaller cup and I've tried a few brewers with no luck. So far I've tried kalita 155 and the origami s brewer.
What I'd like to have is the same quality brew I'm getting out of the blue bottle dripper. What brewer do you recommend and what recipes for it?
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

The (current) Blue Bottle dripper regulates flow rate through a single exit hole at the bottom of the dripper, a.k.a. a Melitta-style dripper. The other drippers that you mention do not regulate the exit flow rate; they rely on you to control the exit flow rate. As you state that you do not have luck with an unrestricted-flow style of dripper, I would suggest an Aeropress using Aesir filters with Tim Wendelboe's method.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Ad-85 (original poster)

#3: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

Thanks! I don't like Aeropress but I might give it a try. Brewers are easier to clean than Aeropress but you were right about flow restrictions.
LMWDB #691

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

You could try a December Dripper which takes the Kalita 155 filters and has an adjustable flow rate (you can even shut the flow for an immersion start).
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Ad-85 (original poster)

#5: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

Good idea! Can you brew smaller ratios with it?
LMWDB #691

DamianWarS

#6: Post by DamianWarS »

Ad-85 wrote:My favorite brewer is blue bottle dripper but sometimes I want a smaller cup and I've tried a few brewers with no luck. So far I've tried kalita 155 and the origami s brewer.
What I'd like to have is the same quality brew I'm getting out of the blue bottle dripper. What brewer do you recommend and what recipes for it?
have you tried to just use a smaller dose in the blue bottle? you can even use a kalita 155 paper in it. brewers are just things that hold the paper. they stand out from their ripped patterns, shape of the brewer and other things like how the holes are designed. The blue bottle has a single small hole in the middle so a unique profile comes from that perhaps other flat bottom brewers differ with. you can drop any paper in the brewer and if it's "too small" it will brew just as happily. but when you do use smaller doses in order to get a similar extraction you need to grind finer, if you don't the draw downtime will be quicker (because there's less coffee for the water to move through) and this will impact the extraction. A common practice with dosing down is to grind finer to slow the draw downtime but you need to play with it a bit because 3 min drawdown at a larger dose/coarser grind may not taste the same as a 3 min drawdown at a smaller doser/finer grind since a finer grind will extraction quicker so it's trial and error until you find the right taste.

Ad-85 (original poster)

#7: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

Thanks! I've never thought of that! I will try it with kalita 155 filters and I would say 2:15 total time seems about right for a smaller dose! I'll send blue bottle email asking about it too. Thanks again
LMWDB #691

Brien

#8: Post by Brien »

What about a V60 01?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Ad-85 wrote:Good idea! Can you brew smaller ratios with it?
I think I normally dosed the December Dripper with 18 - 20 grams of coffee and a 1:15 ratio. It's been a while, I normally make pots of coffee not cups. How much coffee are you currently using in your filter holder?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS »

Ad-85 wrote:Thanks! I've never thought of that! I will try it with kalita 155 filters and I would say 2:15 total time seems about right for a smaller dose! I'll send blue bottle email asking about it too. Thanks again
Blue bottle is going to be motivated to keep you focused on their product so just be aware of that with their reply if they discourage it or have specific steps for a lower dose. Obviously the brewer is a specific size for a reason and I'm sure they have a ratio in mind for the brewer but if you find you're not getting what you desire dosing down don't let blue bottle tell you what's best for you.