What do you like about light roasts? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Note when Tim Wendelboe says "slightly darker roasted coffees for making espresso," he's still talking about a roast lighter than most North American roasters' "light filter" roasts :lol:. (He can do this as the Linea in his shop is set to extract at 110psi/7.58bar.)
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

jdrobison

#12: Post by jdrobison »

I like floral, fruity profiles and when beans with that potential are roasted too long, those flavors are masked or completely wiped out.

Like a good piece of meat, I want it cooked just enough to bring the flavors to the surface but not so much to overwhelm.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Sugssugi

#13: Post by Sugssugi »

jdrobison wrote:Like a good piece of meat, I want it cooked just enough to bring the flavors to the surface but not so much to overwhelm.
Wow you nailed it. Generally people like light roasts because beans flavor stand out the most with nice balanced acidity. Whereas with darker roasts, you don't get much of the fruit flavor because its almost literally 'burnt'. Don't get me wrong, dark roasts are also special in their own way. It highlights the work of the roaster giving you the roast profile flavor. I like my beef medium rare.

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

These are interesting perspectives a d I'm enjoying reading them. I can agree with the meat comparison, I like my meat pink in the inside, anymore and it looses the best parts. I'm entering this world and hope to find some of the coffees that fit these profiles. to be transparent I drink medium roasts but I will go up to anything before second crack.
After second crack is simply too far. And as a side note this is not for espresso, it's for brewing.

jdrobison

#15: Post by jdrobison »

I've also used the meat analogy to explain why some coffees need to be roasted darker. If you're buying lower quality meat, rare to medium rare might actually taste worse than imparting a bit of flavor through cooking a bit more.

ytm

#16: Post by ytm »

Regarding brewing technique, I like v60 the most, to me it feels that it brings out the most of the beans I'm using. Also, if I have especially expensive beans at hand, I'd prefer to brew them with v60 over espresso.

Make sure that at least at first, you source your coffee from well established roasting houses that are already known for their quality (sadly, they're usually pricier) on several origins, so you have some sort of reference point and also a practiced process which produced results you like, before experimenting with various less known (and probably cheaper) ones.
Not sure if anyone mentioned this here, but note that water play a big role in here, right after the coffee itself.

LesZedCB

#17: Post by LesZedCB »

i love the acidity and tea-like delicacy of the cup. for a long time, like most, i thought coffee was relegated to the "puts hair on your chest" motor oil stuff. i remember the first time i had coffee that had some more complexity and it was extremely eye opening. ever since then i've just been exploring. my tastes also change from week to week, and even a 10oz bag of coffee is almost too much of a commitment, which is why i'm starting to learn to roast my own so i can always have options for fresh coffee.

and agreed with the previous post, v60 imo is the best brew method for tasting the complexity of the coffee beans. i also enjoy light roasts as espresso, but that is tricky.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
Tj.

#18: Post by Tj. »

There are some darker roasts that that avoid the burnt notes, and lighter coffees that have burnt notes. So I think it's hard to judge a category or coffee by even a dozen coffees. The stereotypes of light and dark coffees are not accurate to me (except for extremes, like comparing anything good to Starbucks-dark). What matters is the tasting notes.

Examples of great coffee to me is Tim Wendelboe and Sey of NY. I don't call them light or dark, they are just well roasted coffees with great flavor optimized for brew or espresso depending on what you ask for. There are a lot of good coffee roasters around the world, Sey and TW are just well known and reliable.