Weber Workshop BIRD: How's the brew?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mwb5007

#1: Post by mwb5007 »

Did ANYONE here get a BIRD from Weber Workshop in the January drop - and if so, well, how' the brew? Thanks!

nsgymd
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by nsgymd »

I have a BIRD but the instruction manual has not been posted on the Weber website and the brew guide videos are very short. It will be helpful to have the written brew guide as a starting point.

Espressmyself

#3: Post by Espressmyself »

Yes, just did my first brew today. I wanted to compare it to Hoffman's V60 recipe. Arbitrarily set my grinder to a setting 25% coarser between espresso and pourover. I used the paper filter with 15gm dose and 250g yield at 96.5deg with a lightly roasted Colombian Tolima anaerobic washed coffee with cherry and strawberry notes. I twirled it for about 30 secs let it steep for another 2 minutes , then rotated the pod up slowly for 1 minute. Result was a focused clean and smooth brew with lower astringency than the V60 and an EY% of 23.9. Not too bad for a first attempt. Next time will try with a finer grind size to see if I can extract even more flavor.

mwb5007 (original poster)

#4: Post by mwb5007 (original poster) »

Thanks for the update! Are the paper filters "standard" or specialty and if so are replacements already available?

Espressmyself

#5: Post by Espressmyself »

Paper filter is 72mm, so not a standard size. Two packs come with the Bird, and refills are available on the Weber website at $15 for 300

#6: Post by mwb5007 (original poster) »

Again, thank you!

#7: Post by mwb5007 (original poster) »

Is anyone having any luck teasing fruits and florals our of their lighter roasts using the BIRD? I am a lighter roast drinker and value clarity, fruits and florals even at a slight cost to body. I am usually able to compensate with my pour for body using a hybrid 4:6 method on a V60.

#8: Post by mwb5007 (original poster) »

Wow, whoever got one of the BIRDs have been pretty quiet one the subject ...... I hope it isn't a case of, "... nothing good to say don't say anything at all".

FrenchPhakoffee

#9: Post by FrenchPhakoffee »

mwb5007 wrote:Did ANYONE here get a BIRD from Weber Workshop in the January drop - and if so, well, how' the brew? Thanks!
Hello. I am a newcomer in HB. But I've ordered a BIRD and received it like 1 week ago. I'm focused more on espresso to be honest, but I liked to do sometime a frenchpress coffee, but well, this BIRD is absolutely georgous. All the build material seems to be such sustainable, and it is like a toy to use, really. The experience with BIRD is incredible, this make the thing so more appreciable.

About the taste in cup, I am not sure that you will make "a better" cup as a V60. Maybe you'll probably improve the tast versus a "standard" frenchpress, because grinds can't finish into the cup because the o-ring of the BIRD sealing pretty well the "glass wall" ? (not sure about this word).

I think the BIRD is more art's piece in the kitchen, moreover which will make you more appreciating to extract coffee via frenchpress, with an improvement of the "quality" of the extraction's method (frenchpress), BUT probably not procuring a better cup in terms of tastes, and it also depends on everyone's tastes.

PS : Sorry if my english isn't great ! -> A picture of the BIRD.

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by rhtrevino »

Finally got around to using my BIRD that I picked up from Doug at expo. It's certainly the most fussy method I've ever used to brew coffee. :D But, it's really a treat to use as well. Like most Weber products, and I have many, it's a beautiful object, and the attention to detail and materials are top-notch. In particular, the honeycomb design on the stainless steel "pod" bottom makes these really beautiful large drops as the wing nut is being turned.

I started with the recommended 1:15 ratio (20g:300ml) with a 5-minute steep at an initial water temp of 87C. I used my Baratza Vario+ on a setting of 4M (calibrated for burr chirp at 1A), which is finer than my typical cone brewer (Origami w/ Sibarist fast filters, or V60 w/ OG untabbed). The coffee was Sightless Blueboon which is a solid medium-dark roast that makes a good comfort cup (chocolate, mandarin). Both the stainless steel mesh and paper filters were used. The resulting cup was clean, well extracted, and had a familiar body. This is a blend I've had many times. Tomorrow, I may cut back on the steep time by 30 seconds and see what the results are.

Cleanup is definitely a thing with this brewer. That said, I honestly love the process of deep cleaning my coffee equipment, so I'm not complaining. But it's something to consider along with the luxury price of the BIRD. I don't regret adding this to my kit though!