Volume of V60 brewers

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

Hario has 3 sizes of brewers 1, 2, 3. Each size has a filter that fits in it. I'm trying to figure out the volume of water that can go in each cone. (Realistically the volume of the filter). I know the maths I just don't have any filters on me right now and wondered if anyone knows the volume of each or at the very least can tell me the height of a flattened cone (from the corner not the center) and the width from the top two corners. Or if someone can plug one and just weigh it full of water and no maths required.

cjowo

#2: Post by cjowo »

The 03 carafe will hold a liter full to the brim. I brew 900ml with it and there's a good deal of room in the filter with 56g of coffee in it.

Corner to bottom the 03 filter is 5 7/8". Corner to corner is 8". I can get you a volumetric measurement tomorrow morning.

Advertisement
myso

#3: Post by myso »

V60-02 holds 25ml below and 350 ml above the neck of the cone.
I placed my silicone tamper stand in a bowl, filled it up until the bottom of the cone = 25g. Tare the scale and fill it up until the rim = 350 ml.

Now I'll excuse myself to make a CleV60er drip coffee using my plastic v60 and tamper stand. :mrgreen:

cjowo

#4: Post by cjowo »

03 filter holds 500ml.

DamianWarS (original poster)

#5: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

myso wrote:V60-02 holds 25ml below and 350 ml above the neck of the cone.
I placed my silicone tamper stand in a bowl, filled it up until the bottom of the cone = 25g. Tare the scale and fill it up until the rim = 350 ml
cjowo wrote:03 filter holds 500ml.
size 3 = 500ml (according to @cjowo)
size 2 = 350ml (for filter if I understand @myso correctly)
size 1 = 200ml??? (just a guess but maybe 150ml)

tgappmayer

#6: Post by tgappmayer »

IME the size 02 is closer to 180 grams. I regularly brew 750ml wth my size 03 using Scott Rao's v60 method.

MikeTheBlueCow

#7: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

The thing is that it really depends on grind size and pour rate, since water/brewed coffee is exiting at the same time it is entering.

That said, with my usual recipe a la Hoffmann and Rao, which is skewed towards a finer grind and larger pour (and as such is a style that cone size provides a limit to the volume, whereas with a pulse pour method the cone size had much less of an impact), I can do a 15g/225ml recipe in the V60-01, but if I try 20/300ml I run out of room. Similarly, in the V60-02 I can get 20g/300-320ml in to the top of the filter (which extends past the cone height) - depending how level I inserted the filter, sometimes I run into the issue of having to pause the pour or slow it down to fit the last bit of water in without overflowing the filter.

I just stoppered my V60's and found 180g for the 01, 350g for the 02. I would say the grounds are taking up that extra space in the 02, but somehow in the 01 I find I can fit more water in than the actual volume - the filter extends past the height of the brewer so that must be it. Perhaps my 01 grind size is also allowing more flow through the grounds.

Advertisement
cjowo

#8: Post by cjowo »

tgappmayer wrote:IME the size 02 is closer to 180 grams. I regularly brew 750ml wth my size 03 using Scott Rao's v60 method.
I brew 900ml out of 56g of coffee every weekend with my 03.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster replying to cjowo »

How long does it take to pour?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cjowo

#10: Post by cjowo »

Using the Hoffman technique with a slightly finer than medium grind I'll draw down 900ml in about 3:30.

Edit: just brewed 900ml with 56g ground fine, I'm trying to get the most out of this light roast Ethiopian, and total draw down was 5 minutes even.