Variable Rest Melange Brewing

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

As I've been cupping very fresh coffees as they age it occurred that I might be able to brew a melange of the same coffee, same roast, rested for different numbers of days. This should be easily do-able with selective freezing. Where might this apply? So often I've tasted a coffee where florals or spice are prominent on the first couple of days but fade. The more rested version of the same coffee might be sweeter, its acidity may be more rounded and tamed. But that rested version may miss some of the flavor notes it had when fresh. Why not do a melange brew that combines different stages of rest? Has anyone tried this?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Lvx

#2: Post by Lvx »

Hi, I melange the same coffee roasted with 2 or 3 different roasting profile. Very interesting result!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Hi Lucio,

That is a frequent practice. I am suggesting something else. Melange the same roast of the same coffee at different stages of its resting after the roast.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Jofari

#4: Post by Jofari »

Interesting idea! I think it would be cool to try this with a fruity and floral washed Ethiopian. Usually, I taste these subtle notes during the first few days after roasting. The coffee grows more balanced and sweet as it ages, but the fruits and florals also fade. It would be nice to try a 50/50 blend of fresh and aged to see if you can get the best of both worlds. Let us know if you try this!

Mbb

#5: Post by Mbb »

I wish i could preserve and even accentuate the characteristics some coffee has on day 1. Ive had two versions of the same coffee, where one which sundried for short period before wash processing has a bit more of these taste characteristics.

To this extent, the processing influences the outcome.