V60 hario papers

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Jazzcat

#1: Post by Jazzcat »

I ordered my v60 papers as usual and this time they came in different packaging. They are made in the Netherlands. I noticed that they drain significantly slower than the ones made in Japan.

To achieve reasonable drain time I have to grind much coarser, pour more aggressively, and it makes me think that the flavour will be impacted. I am considering if I should go back to the papers in different packaging from Japan, which are faster draining, and throw these away. This is the first time ever I got these papers. For many years I have been always getting the same ones which came from Japan.

Would you say that the flavour is unchanged/not significantly changed between the filter papers if one grinds coarser to achieve desired extraction time?

I am asking this as I ordered some coffees (some is small quantity and expensive) and I am afraid I may lose out on flavour with the slow draining v60 papers.

Thank you

BrewingMatter

#2: Post by BrewingMatter »

I highly recommend CAFEC V60 filter paper.
It is alternative to Hario's but superior in my opinion.

I had to try many different alternatives, but once I found CAFEC filter it has been the only one.

Espressofilo

#3: Post by Espressofilo »

As explained in this video, three different kinds of paper filters are sold with the brand Hario. They have different characteristics, so they require to "dial in" the grinding and the other parameters differently for each one.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Brewzologist »

Using search is your friend: :wink:

Hario Filter is different between packs

Jazzcat (original poster)

#5: Post by Jazzcat (original poster) replying to Brewzologist »

Thank you I will take a look

#6: Post by Jazzcat (original poster) »

BrewingMatter wrote:I highly recommend CAFEC V60 filter paper.
It is alternative to Hario's but superior in my opinion.

I had to try many different alternatives, but once I found CAFEC filter it has been the only one.
I haven't heard of them, I will see if they are available in the UK. Thank you for the advice.

randytsuch

#7: Post by randytsuch »

The CAFEC filters look interesting

https://cafecusa.com/products/cafec-pou ... -flow-rate

Looks like they have 3 different versions with different flow rates.

erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

Been using the ones made in The Netherlands for years having great results with them. I also have the 40-pakcs here made in Japan and switch back and forth a lot. With my EG-1 with SSP burrs I can get equal results with both. Maybe it's technique as I've made thousands of V60's and got them dialed in perfecly to within a couple of seconds everytime. The ones made in the Netherlands are a bit thicker for sure but they never clog here.

For me the CAFEC light roast filters are total crap. They're the only flters that continuously clog and give drawdown times of 5 minutes+ for grind settings where V60 filters just give a normal 2:30-3:00 drawdown. I cut them for paper filters on top of my puck. The ones I got the first time where great and had normal drawdown times but somehow they changed them and after that I found them to be worthless.

#9: Post by Jazzcat (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:Been using the ones made in The Netherlands for years having great results with them. I also have the 40-pakcs here made in Japan and switch back and forth a lot. With my EG-1 with SSP burrs I can get equal results with both. Maybe it's technique as I've made thousands of V60's and got them dialed in perfecly to within a couple of seconds everytime. The ones made in the Netherlands are a bit thicker for sure but they never clog here.

For me the CAFEC light roast filters are total crap. They're the only flters that continuously clog and give drawdown times of 5 minutes+ for grind settings where V60 filters just give a normal 2:30-3:00 drawdown. I cut them for paper filters on top of my puck. The ones I got the first time where great and had normal drawdown times but somehow they changed them and after that I found them to be wothless.
I use comandante grinder, and for the same coffee and same grind, and water temp, filters made in the Netherlands were significantly slower. I have to grind coarser to get similar brew time. Since I ordered some expensive gesha coffee, I am debating if I should continue using same papers or go back to the ones made in japan where I am more comfortable with the brew settings.

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

I'd never order an expensive Geisha with a lesser grinder as for me it's a waste of money. I also have the Commandante and use it on holidays but it can't even come close to the results I'm getting with my EG-1. That's something you need to keep in mind. You can get a kind of decent result but nothing that's worth the extra money. In practice you're paying double or more and your equipment can only get 10% more out of it. The same as when I put COE beans in my grandparents superautomatic it wasn't any better then beans costing 20%.

And yes different filters give different results and the original Japan V60 filters are very good and for the money hard to beat. If they work better for you then go for it but the grinder is having way more impact then the filter will. It's probably even better to waste a bit of coffee sieving out some fines to get a more balanced cup and limiting clogging.

So yes with the Commandante it'll make a difference as they're highlighting the lack of a very good grind. So in that case just buy the Japan V60 filters and enjoy them. But one of the problems is you'll still have too much fines making a muddy cup and there's no filter that can change that as fines will always extract more. So taking away a part of the fines should do a better job in getting the best out of your Geisha with the Commandante.