V60: Glass vs Ceramic thermals/other?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

Don't want plastic. I prefer the aesthetics of the white ceramic. They look pretty equitable, with the ceramic perhaps being more durable.

Big question is thermals & heat. Which of the two will be better? They are both ranked to be about the same, but is that true? And, are there any other less obvious differences in design (such as ridges or what not)?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Most of the heat escapes through the open top of the V60 so it's probably a wash, all other things being equal.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Acavia

#3: Post by Acavia »

Generally glass is better for heat if both are preheated normally - rinsing with boiled water is what I mean by normal. Ceramic has an advantage if you are more extreme in heating it. Some people have put it inside the opening of the kettle as it heats, causing the stem to heat it, but then it can be tricky to touch it.

I do not think ceramic is worth that hassle, plus ceramics can have heavy metals in them.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Pressino »

Acavia wrote:Generally glass is better for heat if both are preheated normally - rinsing with boiled water is what I mean by normal. Ceramic has an advantage if you are more extreme in heating it. Some people have put it inside the opening of the kettle as it heats, causing the stem to heat it, but then it can be tricky to touch it.

I do not think ceramic is worth that hassle, plus ceramics can have heavy metals in them.
So can glass...like so called "lead crystal" etc. But in both cases (ceramic/glass) the metal constituents will not leach out like the suspected toxic substances used to make many plastics.