V60 clogging up

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Leelo77

#1: Post by Leelo77 »

Sometimes my V60 will clog up super quick. Like on the first pour. Even grinding on a medium setting.
I have a fellow ode grinder, a Kinu m47 and generally drink Africans.
What am I doing wrong?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Pressino »

One cause might be having a higher percentage of fines in your grounds. These would tend to clog the filter paper. I think conical grinders generally produce a wider range of grind sizes than flat burr grinders, and this includes more fines from a conical at any particular grind size setting. The Ode is a flat burr grinder and should produce a more uniform sized grind. You probably need to grind a bit coarser, and I suspect you will have better luck fixing your problem dialing in the Ode rather than the Kinu. I really am not sure, since I have used neither grinder. Just a guess based on the two types of burr sets.

KKUK

#3: Post by KKUK »

Leelo77 wrote:Sometimes my V60 will clog up super quick. Like on the first pour. Even grinding on a medium setting.
I have a fellow ode grinder, a Kinu m47 and generally drink Africans.
What am I doing wrong?
What is your typical recipe?

I find Ethiopian coffee in particular pushes me into using coarse grind settings but without detail of the recipe itself it is hard to help troubleshoot.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

erik82

#5: Post by erik82 »

Indeed look at the post mentioned above. Also the Kinu does a very bad job at pourover even with the pourover burrs.