V60 brewing to get acidity/tartness

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

First, my situation: I just got a new coffee that is pretty remarkable. I got approximately a kilo and it will last me about 6 weeks. It is Red Rooster Dur Feres.

While I have had a few coffees produce a sip or two that taste like blueberry, this is my first coffee that is completely blueberry. The whole beans smell slight like blueberries. After grinding, the ground coffee gives off blueberry smell. The brewed coffee smells like blueberry. Every sip from the coffee, from hot to after it cools, tastes like blueberry. Very remarkable but - it has no tartness nor sweetness and if I do not figure out how to get some sharpness in it, it will be rather flat and boring coffee after the newness of blueberry goes away after some more brews.

I mainly use a V60. I usually do bloom and one pour. Sometimes I do bloom and two pulses. I also have a Hario Switch to do Clever-like brews. I have Kalita 185 that I usually use a few times with each coffee and 6 cup Chemex I rarely use now. With this coffee I did a Switch Clever-like small brew initially, then a more normal size, ~24g coffee via a bloom and one pour. Both were about the same brewed coffee. I use a Ditting 804-Sweet and grind pretty fine, usually a 3.5 to 4.5 on its settings. I did a 4.0 on this coffee in the Switch and since it drained fairly slow compared to other coffees, I did a 6.0 on the first mormal, bloom-one pour brew and it brewed about range that a 4.0 would do with other coffees, so this coffees brews slower than average.

Mostly using African coffees, I always get tartness in my coffees. Until now, I do not recall every not getting some tart/sharp notes in coffees. Also, I normally get sweetness too, usually a citrus-sweetness and the empty coffee mugs usually have a sweet, tobacco-like smell.

Any suggestions on getting tartness?

rainy_coffee

#2: Post by rainy_coffee »

I don't have a ton to add here, but am interested in hearing what others suggest for manual brewing methods. I too recently bought a bag of Dur Feres (roasted by Boon Boona in WA) and found that I liked it a lot better as a shot of espresso / latte vs. a brewed V60 cup.
Evan

LMWDP #678

Acavia

#3: Post by Acavia » replying to rainy_coffee »

Did you find it blueberry in all aspects? Did yours have tartness?

Acavia

#4: Post by Acavia »

rainy_coffee wrote:I don't have a ton to add here, but am interested in hearing what others suggest for manual brewing methods. I too recently bought a bag of Dur Feres (roasted by Boon Boona in WA) and found that I liked it a lot better as a shot of espresso / latte vs. a brewed V60 cup.
Also, I did the Switch at 17:1 and pour-over at 18:1 as I usually use high ratios. I was planning to try 16:1 to 15:1 tomorrow to see if that will bring out sharpness. Is that why you found espresso better with it - does this coffee need to be higher TDS?

rainy_coffee

#5: Post by rainy_coffee »

Tons of blueberry. I hadn't specifically tied the filter brew down to "lack of acidity" but I only did it once or twice at around 15:250 before I decided I would rather enjoy it as espresso. Your comment makes me think it may have been that.
Evan

LMWDP #678

Yan

#6: Post by Yan »

Just try more coarse grindsize, normally it will drain faster with v.60, if it's not have any tartness/sour/acidic, maybe it's the coffee has low acidity....

Acavia

#7: Post by Acavia »

I did a 14.5:1 brew today - first two were 17:1 and 18:1. I got some tart and sweetness, but much of the blueberry went away. Ill try 15:1 tomorrow.

DamianWarS

#8: Post by DamianWarS »

Acavia wrote:First, my situation: I just got a new coffee that is pretty remarkable. I got approximately a kilo and it will last me about 6 weeks. It is Red Rooster Dur Feres.

While I have had a few coffees produce a sip or two that taste like blueberry, this is my first coffee that is completely blueberry. The whole beans smell slight like blueberries. After grinding, the ground coffee gives off blueberry smell. The brewed coffee smells like blueberry. Every sip from the coffee, from hot to after it cools, tastes like blueberry. Very remarkable but - it has no tartness nor sweetness and if I do not figure out how to get some sharpness in it, it will be rather flat and boring coffee after the newness of blueberry goes away after some more brews.

I mainly use a V60. I usually do bloom and one pour. Sometimes I do bloom and two pulses. I also have a Hario Switch to do Clever-like brews. I have Kalita 185 that I usually use a few times with each coffee and 6 cup Chemex I rarely use now. With this coffee I did a Switch Clever-like small brew initially, then a more normal size, ~24g coffee via a bloom and one pour. Both were about the same brewed coffee. I use a Ditting 804-Sweet and grind pretty fine, usually a 3.5 to 4.5 on its settings. I did a 4.0 on this coffee in the Switch and since it drained fairly slow compared to other coffees, I did a 6.0 on the first mormal, bloom-one pour brew and it brewed about range that a 4.0 would do with other coffees, so this coffees brews slower than average.

Mostly using African coffees, I always get tartness in my coffees. Until now, I do not recall every not getting some tart/sharp notes in coffees. Also, I normally get sweetness too, usually a citrus-sweetness and the empty coffee mugs usually have a sweet, tobacco-like smell.

Any suggestions on getting tartness?
If you want it more acidic the only thing you can try to do is decrease the extraction which may have negative implications. Coarser grind or lower temp are two things you might want to try, another thing may be to use a lower dose (same ratio) but these things only accomplish lower extractions which may not get the taste you want. A lighter roast next time might be more to your liking for the same coffee.

You can pop a single whole bean in your mouth and keep crunching it up until you can't anymore to get a sense of what that coffee has to offer. If there's no acidity then you might be trying to force something you just can't get. The longer these beans age (within 6 weeks for you) the more developed they become and the harder it will be for you to get these more acidic taste you desire out of it.

Is this coffee already old? That might be your problem. Is it dry processed or some sort of anaerobic fermentation like CM? This might explain why it's so fruity without the acidic. If you can't get what you want out of them then try and blend it with a more acidic coffee and you might strike the balance you want or contact the roastery and ask them about the coffee and their cupping notes and what sort of acidity they experienced with it. It may be a water recipe thing that you could tweak to bring out what the roastery was cupping.

Acavia

#9: Post by Acavia »

DamianWarS wrote:
Is this coffee already old? That might be your problem.
No, I started using it 5 days post roast. All but 6 days worth was frozen, day 4 post roast. I rationed it into 5 to 7 day servings, vacuum sealed each ration, put the sealed ration bags into zipper-lock bags that are also vacuum sealed through a 1-way valve and hand pump.
DamianWarS wrote: Is it dry processed or some sort of anaerobic fermentation like CM? This might explain why it's so fruity without the acidic. If you can't get what you want out of them then try and blend it with a more acidic coffee and you might strike the balance you want or contact the roastery and ask them about the coffee and their cupping notes and what sort of acidity they experienced with it. It may be a water recipe thing that you could tweak to bring out what the roastery was cupping.
Natural processed. Light roast level per the roaster - although a 3rd part reviewer found it to be medium-light.

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS »

Acavia wrote:Natural processed. Light roast level per the roaster - although a 3rd part reviewer found it to be medium-light.
dry-processed coffee is more innately fruity, it doesn't mean the acidity's not there but it very likely is the reason why there is no acidity. If you want acidity you'll probably have to mix it with an acidic coffee. I'm sure you could experiment by adding something to the water to make it more acidic like lemon juice but who knows if that's going to have the effect you're looking for.