V60 and channeling

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Moka 1 Cup

#1: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I was watching April geeks out on brewing - Part 1 [VIDEO] and at a certain point Patrik Rolf mentions, among the cons of the V60, channeling. I cannot not find the point where he mentioned it but at 7:23 there is another part where he goes more in depth discussing the inconsistencies of the V60: Kalita Vs V60

Mt experience with pour over is only with the V60 so I cannot make comparisons, however I think that I am able to get very consistent results with the V60 and with the coffee we are drinking. I spin the Hario after every stage and end up with a very flat coffee bed. Total times are alway within +/- 5 seconds from each other with very rare exceptions. One was yesterday. I poured water from a higher distance and I ended up with a very uneven coffee bed in spite of the spins, and the pour ended about 20 seconds earlier than usual. I assume that is was a case of channeling and indicated by Rolf. But again, it was an exception.

Do you experience frequent channeling when using the V60? How do you detect or avoid it?
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

tv79

#2: Post by tv79 »

I've found channeling at higher doses (e.g. 30g) to sometimes be an issue, but a couple quick pulses with a handheld frother immediately following the bloom pour is typically all it takes to avoid it.