V60 03-size filters, any differences between 40 count box and 100 plastic pack?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I have never used the 40 count pack for the 03 size filter, only ones from a 100 pack. I only use them for a 03 dripper in a Switch for Clever-like brews. Trying to decide if the 40-count are worth paying more per unit. Unlike the 02 sizes, I assume since 03 sizes would be made in smaller numbers, they are perhaps only made in one factory and all the same?

Yan

#2: Post by Yan »

The 40 box edition always no tab and better flowrate/drawdown...

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

Acavia wrote:I have never used the 40 count pack for the 03 size filter, only ones from a 100 pack. I only use them for a 03 dripper in a Switch for Clever-like brews. Trying to decide if the 40-count are worth paying more per unit. Unlike the 02 sizes, I assume since 03 sizes would be made in smaller numbers, they are perhaps only made in one factory and all the same?
the filters in a box are made in the original factory in Japan, the tabbed ones in a plastic bag are made in a second factory in Japan and the ones with a tab in the middle in a plastic shrink wrap packaging and with a "-H" at the end of the code are made in the Netherlands (I assume the H stands for Holland). They are all a little bit different, the original is faster, the second factory is a bit slower and the Netherlands one is the slowest. Just remember if it's in a box then it's the fast ones and if it's in a bag it's the slow ones. You probably won't see the Netherlands ones but if you do just know the one that looks different from the rest is the slowest. Hoffmann did a video on it if you want to check it out.

Acavia (original poster)

#4: Post by Acavia (original poster) » replying to DamianWarS »

My 100 pack of size-03 are untabbed.

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by DamianWarS » replying to Acavia »

are they in a box? broadly, what I'm aware of, the ones in boxes come from the original factory, the crinkly plastic bags come from the second factory and the shrink wrap comes from the Netherlands. I only get the boxes so I'm not super familiar with the differences but from what I know the ones in boxes don't have tabs (at least none that I get). I also only know of the a 100 pack unbleached that comes in a box. the crinkly plastic bags have an off-centered tab and the Netherlands ones have a tab in the center (plus an embossed "V60"). However, I would go by the packaging as the primary indicator over the presence of a tab for which factory it comes from. if you post a picture of the packaging and filter it could be helpful to isolate which factory it came from and who knows maybe it's a new filter design.

Eiern

#6: Post by Eiern »

There is also tabbed 100 pack in paper box, code ends with WK. I suspect they are like the japanese 100 plastic packs?

I also noticed a little difference between the losse plastic 100 pack I had from a few years back and my new loose plastic 100 pack, they seem different in stiffness and crepe, and the fold/joining/lining is broader now than before.

Acavia (original poster)

#7: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

I noticed difference in the 01 and 02, but I have only used a 100 pack of 03 size and the see similar to my 40 pack 02 as far as texture.

My assumption is that not a many 03 are sold nor made, so they probably do not have multiple facilities making them. I might be wrong, but differences in the 02 and 01 sizes might not apply to the 03s.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by DamianWarS »

Eiern wrote:There is also tabbed 100 pack in paper box, code ends with WK. I suspect they are like the japanese 100 plastic packs? image

I also noticed a little difference between the losse plastic 100 pack I had from a few years back and my new loose plastic 100 pack, they seem different in stiffness and crepe, and the fold/joining/lining is broader now than before.
that's the first I've seen tabbed in a box. the code is VCF-01-100WK. the final letters can be M, MK, W, WK, and H.

M: natural/bleached
MK: natural/bleached in a box
W: white/bleached (W = white)
WK: white/bleached in a box
H: made in Netherlands (H = Holland)

I know what W and H mean but not K and M and it could be a local name/word as well. K is only packs of 100 in a box and from what I understand the K boxes have a different flap that opens the boxes than the non-K boxes so K may be the style of box. From various internet sources, there are only 2 factories in Japan that produce the filters that are basically divided in a box and not in a box, and broadly speaking factory 1 filters differ from factory 2 filters. using that information the 100WK/MK should are made in factory 1 but the inclusion of a tab for these 100 packs in a box seems new which sort of muddies the waters a bit. the only way to properly test them is to test all these different filters together to see how they perform but I would think the K packs perform the same as the other filters in a box. They also may change over years which might be a different conversation.

Yan

#9: Post by Yan »

Acavia wrote:My 100 pack of size-03 are untabbed.
Back to your original question the 40 03 box edition have same character to the 01/02 box 40 sheet editions already been used for ages...