Using a lazy susan with pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

this seems to be a thing now and maybe the next trend in pourover minutiae. Does anyone use one to do their pourover? do you find it's better to concentrate on pour technique rather than it turning into a yo-yo? I'm pricing some out and I noticed a cheap photo/display version (about $15) with electric turning. They turn a little slow since its function is for product display and as an example a variable speed one I looked at can go 2r/4r/6r/min. I can't decide if 6 rotations a min is too slow or not (1 rotation every 10 seconds?). It can also rotate on angles 45º/90º/180º/360º and I'm trying to think if that would be useful or not. (I assume it hits the angle then turns the opposite direction and goes back and forth). Does anyone have one of these devices? could they work for coffee? what are the general thoughts of lazy susans are they useful or not for pourover?

UPDATE: It seems I've misinterpreted the use of the lazy Susan with pourover and as per Lance Hendrick's method (thanks Ejquin for clarifying) Hendrick is using it to swirl/agitate between pours. Anyone using it in other ways?

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Ejquin

#2: Post by Ejquin »

I've started using one and I do think it's beneficial. It helps ensure your spins aren't too aggressive and also more repeatable. I also think the type of "force" being applied is better and less likely to result in new channels and other issues that could come with over spinning.

After I complete each of my pours I do 4 side to side rotations of the lazy Susan. I'm not sure how an electric one would work. Seems like it would actually be less useful. I don't think you need the whole thing turning the whole time, just after your pours, and you want side to side rotation, not circular.

I first saw lance hendricks doing it on Instagram. He's got videos there if you want to see his technique.

DamianWarS (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) » replying to Ejquin »

I found a "Lance Hendrick" on Instagram and youtube but I didn't see any videos with a lazy susan, not sure if that's the guy (this Lance Hendrick has some useful videos still). I'm interested in the technique, do you have a link?

Ejquin

#4: Post by Ejquin »

mkane
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mkane »

much much too complicated. PO is suppose to be quick and simple.

Acavia

#6: Post by Acavia »

This might not be doing any agitation. The water seems to almost be motionless with the dripper just spinning around it.

Brien

#7: Post by Brien »

Interesting! I'll stick to my rao spins.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Acavia wrote:This might not be doing any agitation. The water seems to almost be motionless with the dripper just spinning around it.
I noticed that too and although I'm sure there's some agitation going on it seems less productive. I thought people were using these to do circular pours I didn't realise it was for the swirl and to be honest I'm not seeing the benifit here.

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

mkane wrote:much much too complicated. PO is suppose to be quick and simple.
It's a fair point, the more complicated you made the steps it will be harder to repeat and if the differences are very small it's probably better to keep it simple and on an average you will get more uniform results. However introducing the lazy Susan as per the video doesn't seem to over complicate it, it's just a method to spin to agitate (aka Rao spin) and to it's credit it's probably fairly consistent (I'm just sure how effective it is at agitating)

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk »

I've seen electric ones used to make the circular pour more repeatable, which looks a bit ridiculous but is it really making things more complicated? I think not.

I think the idea with the manual shake is when you don't want too much agitation. Looks neat and a lot easier than swirling a heavy decanter or for example porcelain dripper.