Best grinder only for pour over

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
AnotherADDiction

#1: Post by AnotherADDiction »

I am wondering what would be my best upgrade path in grinders only for pour over. I do not drink espresso and would like to have a plan to get my best cup of coffee.
Currently I have a 1zpresso jmax (got it for a good price) and was thinking about my upgrade paths.
Would it be something like an Ode or Df64 and then maybe update the burrs to a cast lab sweet, or something else? Or do I go crazy and make my first jump to something really costly (over 1k)
I don't have funds now, but that will change.
I enjoy a large mouthfeel and my favorite brand are ethiopian harrar.
Do I want conical?
I would like to be able to just do things right the first time.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and your help.

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

I'm sort of in the same situation so I'll try and give you some help in your process of thought. I have a Kinu M47 Classic from 2019 which should be similar to what you have. First I'd like to highlight some of the good sides of this grinder and its kin. The brews we get are very sweet and full bodied. They are probably a bit more "muddy", if you will, than on grinders with a narrower distribution of particle sizes but there is enough clarity there for me to pick up distinct flavor notes. For extra context, I brew light to very light roasts 95 or so percent of the time. In my opinion there is a balance there to seek, it's not as simple as saying "more even distribution is always better". I've had brews in competent high-end coffee shops, using EK43s and other high-end grinders, that have fallen short of my standard or what I'm used to liking. Often times these brews have been void of body, very "one dimensional" and sometimes just plain bland. My Kinu is very consistent brew-to-brew and I have learned how to brew what I get from it. And this is also something to consider. Most likely changing grinder will mean you need to change the way you brew, the recipe, ratios, temperature.

I would say you need to first consider the practical side of things, the convenience and workflow. Since you only mentioned electrical grinder, I would assume you are on this path, seeking convenience in the sense of ease of use.

Personally I don't believe much in the common conical vs flat distinction but would rather seek comments on how each individual burr brews. For example the Weber conicals would seem like very viable options, though on the more expensive side of the spectrum. Whereas the Niche Zero has been almost universally rejected in pour over use from what I see. Looking into the flat burr space, if I guessed your preferences correctly, to me it would seem you'd find the SSP "lab sweet" style cast burrs suitable for your tastes. That is what I am considering myself but am yet unsure and not ready to invest, especially while I get good brews with what I have.

So, concentrate on the burr sets, look for comments and reviews, disregard the extremes in the discussion (too much certainty is almost surely unfounded, doubt grows with knowledge). Then seek the best grinder you can afford that can house the burrs of your choice. Well, that's how I go about this. Good luck!
Osku
★ Helpful

AnotherADDiction (original poster)

#3: Post by AnotherADDiction (original poster) »

Thank you so much for your reply. That does sound like a good plan.
I guess that I don't have an issue with manual, do want small as possible.
I also like the light roasts as well as African beans with a large mouthfeel.
I will be trying to dial in as much as possible for my tastes now.

#4: Post by AnotherADDiction (original poster) »

I think that I may have my ultimate grinder... The Helor Flux (106). Please let me know what you all think.
It is small and had a great burr set and seems to do great filter. Is this true?
Should I start to save and salivate?
Is this my best option? I also love the fact that it is under $1000 and you can use a power drill on it (like I sometimes do now with my Jmax)
Thanks

Tjyven

#5: Post by Tjyven »

Maybe it is worth checking up the new Pietro grinder that is about to hit the market now. Is a manual grinder with 58mm flat burrs. https://pietrogrinders.com/en/

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Pressino replying to Tjyven »

The Pietro design looks quite good and with the "Pro" burr option should be great for pour-over. At 390 euro it will be less expensive than the Helor. The Helor, with 71mm Mazzer conical burrs and it's gearbox crank drivetrain is a superb grinder for espresso and from what I've read also good for pour-over, though the flat burr set of the Pietro ought to be more unimodal and theoretically better for brewing pour-over with more clarity...if that's what you want.

Tjyven

#7: Post by Tjyven »

Yes pretty sure the Pietro will be better for pour-over (and Helor better for espresso).

#8: Post by AnotherADDiction (original poster) »

Hmmm, that's a lot to process. I do like the look of the Pietro, I guess that I need to do alot of research. I don't think that I care about clarity. I don't really know. I just like the old style huge mouthfeel cup of coffee. It seems like the only thing that can go there for me is a good Harrar.
Is it possible for me to get a hand grinder (of any price) that will be 2x as good as my 1espresso Jmax for pure over? I am thinking of picking up a moka pot (or brikka) to try something different too.
The look/size/sound of the handgrinders is very attractive. And my SO will not want anything in the kitchen.

#9: Post by AnotherADDiction (original poster) »

I have a Brikka coming in a few days so that will be some fun. I'm also very interested in the OE Apex...looks very nice in spite of the news to fasten to a cutting board or similar. It should definitely tic the taste box.

#10: Post by AnotherADDiction (original poster) »

I got the Brikka and was not impressed. I guess that I am a simple man. Just give me good old fashioned coffee. I also got a few different coffees (all from Africa). I can't taste any big differences. I guess this is a good thing as it will simplify my life. I hated when I taught my ears to appreciate good equipment...audiofile rabbit hole $$$$
Now, will getting a specific grinder for pour over make a tasteable difference for me, any price? I am using a 1zpresso jmax currently. Thoughts?