Updates on Behmor Brazen Plus/Connected?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ArchieCoffee
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by ArchieCoffee »

I have been interested in getting one of these machines for a while, but I've held back because of the forum threads on them, all of which are at least 2 or three years old. Can anyone confirm that the QC issues that some of the early adopters had have all been addressed? I know that there have been a lot of updates to the unit, but I was mainly thinking about some folks' issue with the unit's extreme sensitivity to mineral content of the water. I'm used to using either bottled or filtered water, so that wouldn't be a problem, but I've read about some folks having issues even using filtered water. Any thoughts?

Also- does anyone know if the Manual Release mode can be timed? For example, could I set the manual release to pour for 25 seconds, or something like that?

Thanks, all!

ArchieCoffee (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ArchieCoffee (original poster) »

Any Brazen owners out there? (echoes: "out there.....out there....")

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Hi. My Brazen+ is great, and I have no real complaints other than how it drips from the sprayhead when you remove the filter basket for cleaning. I use Brita-filtered tap water or Third Wave water with no issues. Not sure about manual release, as I never use that mode. One thing to keep in mind re: the Connected model is that it's incompatible with wifi passwords containing commas or quotation marks; I had to return one for that reason (wasn't willing to change my password).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Supporter ♡

#4: Post by ArchieCoffee (original poster) »

Awesome. Thanks for replying. Intersting point about tue Connected, though I think I would get the Brazen Plus, anyways. I dont necessarily need my brewer connected to the IoT, and I like the idea of not having to grab my phone just to brew (though I'm sure that is very useful for some folks).

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I bought my BraZen when they were first offered in 2012 and did have to have it replaced. The replacement that i received in July of 2014 is still going strong, I love this brewer, and the ability to accurately set temperatures.

I use RO water to prevent any scaling issues with mineral additives for better flavor.

In manual release mode, I don't believe that you can set timings. I've used my BraZen for batches as low as 400 ml, but normally brew larger batches.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ArchieCoffee (original poster) »

Glad to hear that. I've really been wanting to try this machine out, and now I feel like you all have validated my upgraditis.

coffeemmichael

#7: Post by coffeemmichael »

Have you considered the new breville precision brewer? Just got it last weekend, love the results-- it has three different flow rates you can choose from

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by ArchieCoffee (original poster) »

Actually, i have. The features look great, and it seems well thought out. What has the day to day experience been with it?

coffeemmichael

#9: Post by coffeemmichael replying to ArchieCoffee »

First, some context:

This is third automatic batch brewer I've owned. I had a Wilfa Precision & a Behmor Connected. I sold the wilfa when I bought the behmor, but sold the behmor to help fund my one-cup hario smart 7 brewer.

The behmor made fantastic drip, though I was stirring during the bloom and once/twice during the brew cycle. Some of the best coffee flavor memories I have are from my EK + behmor combo. When I sold the behmor, I wasn't in need of a brewer that could brew larger volumes.

Fast forward to today, I needed a batch brewer to make my coffee for the day to store in thermoses.

I've had it for nine days and have used it to brew my coffee every morning. I dialed in my settings for a 72-75g dose/ 1200g h2o batch the day I got the machine.

I have my flow rate on the "slow" setting, one minute bloom, 203f temp, third wave water, with coffee seven days post-roast straight from individual portion vac-seal bags from my freezer. My extractions consistently hit 20-21% with an average tds of 1.40%. These extractions are balanced, flavorful, and complex.

The shower head is only four holes, nothing compared to the massive one in the behmor-- but my brews still are tasting great, and I'm not stirring at all. I would love to have the breville and behmor side-by-side to compare.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by ArchieCoffee (original poster) »

The EK+Behmor must've made quite a cup!