Unusual and Different Moka Pots - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Andy

#11: Post by Andy »

I don't use this Valira moka pot very often, but, with care, it makes decent coffee. I don't remember where I got it many years ago -- probably in a thrift shop in Washington.

Lvx

#12: Post by Lvx »

IamOiman wrote:Thank you for the info! I appreciate you identifying them as the mercatino shops just labelled them as a caffeteria. I made edits to the original post reflecting this.
Hi Ryan, I'm happy to be helpful :D

redbone

#13: Post by redbone »

Here is one from the 60's. Parents purchased a set of pots from Cookomatic that are still in use today. This is a relabeled Cookomatic moka pot. Very robust and heavy gauge S.S.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#14: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I managed to score this twin spout moka pot. I *think* it is a caffe rapid from the 50's/60's, but I paid 2 euro for it at the mercatino so I just thought it was cool! I cleaned it a bit and it works. I plan on changing the gasket and shower plate when I figure out the size.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#15: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Today has more acqusitions as well! It is my mom's birthday today, and we went to the Agnano Antique Market west of Napoli for bargains, and I managed to acquire some more caffettieras from the trip. I purchased a spout moka pot that fits a 6 cup filter, and I ran into a friend of a hardware store owner named Lucio. He knew I was into coffee, and we went with him afterwards to his mom's apartment, where he gifted me three additional caffettieras that he has found over his decades of market searching.

One was his mother's neapolitan pot that she used everyday, another was a functioning Wunster that needed new gaskets, and an interesting alcohol moka pot called a gibizita depositata. I am very grateful for his gifts, and I will be giving him something American at some point as a token of appreciation.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#16: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Hi again,

before I go back to spring semester in college I have been looking around for more antique moka pots/caffettieras in Naples area. Today I add two additional finds to my collection: An OMG (Officine Meccaniche Gozzano) Colombia Creme from the 50's and a pairing 4 cup version of the caffè rapid similar to the smaller 2 cup one I found last week. I also found a set of 6 metal cups which fit perfectly with the caffè rapid!

I also believe the caffè rapid has never been used (or maybe once) due to the quality of the boiler inside!

If anybody (especially Lvx/Lucio) can provide information on the OMG Colombia, I would appreciate it as I do not know much about this particular one besides the fact it needs a serious cleaning.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

guijan12

#17: Post by guijan12 »

Wow, nice finds!
Have fun bringing them up and running again... :D
Regards,

Guido

guest_user

#18: Post by guest_user »

IamOiman wrote:
One was his mother's neapolitan pot that she used everyday, another was a functioning Wunster that needed new gaskets, and an interesting alcohol moka pot called a gibizita depositata.
Hello, posting this here, it seems you have a similar one to the one my roommate bought. she bought this moka in italy, just wondering if anyone knew the particularities of these types of moka pots are, and do they have a special glass or cup? seems strange the spout so long and far from the glass. maybe its easier for the coffee to rise?

EDIT: i see the top moka is actually similar to this one! a ceramic kettle or pitcher. :)

Team HB

#19: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Over the past few months I collected a few more caffettiere. One of them I've had for a while but have not shown it yet, the Moka Pot that you plug into your car (yes really). The instructions specifically say not to use while driving :wink: . Please correct me if I incorrectly dated these coffee makers!

They are the following:
Bialetti Elettrika moka pot on the road 2-cup
Simeras Milano (500W with an unusual 140-160V) 1930's/40's
Sgarbi-Chiozzi Stella 1950's/60's
Nuova Mignon with box 2-cup
Irmel Nova Express Export 4-cup 1970's
Glasnost Made in Italy (unknown date)
Lavazza Principessa 4-cup 1980's

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

C-Antonio

#20: Post by C-Antonio »

Compliments, its a nice collection, I hope you use all of them...

PS: regarding the Alpini moka... dont call it a Robin Hood moka... Alpini dont like to hear that about their hat... :D
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”