Not your average Japanese iced coffee. - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster »

Roasted coffee last night and tried out the HyperChiller today. It works as advertised, even though I didn't completely follow the directions as my Wife had recycled the box with the directions already. I poured about 8 oz of hot coffee and let it sit for three minutes, not swirling every few seconds as directed. Tastes pretty good, now I want to get out my soda siphon and stout tap for some nitro cold brew. I just wish I had a better way to attach the stout tap to the soda siphon instead of risking spraying cold brew all over the kitchen again if the friction fit hose slips off.

The full city Ethiopia Dry Process Benti Nenka I roasted up last night tastes even sweeter HyperChilled than hot.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

happycat

#22: Post by happycat »

Ad-85 wrote:One word "AMAZING"

I found out about the HyperChiller from this thread and I can't thank you guys enough. It's really amazing and I enjoy the coffees more than the splash Japanese style iced coffee which was bitter compared to this.
Sounds interesting. I found the brew I made with this OP recipe tasted overextracted + diluted.
LMWDP #603

Ad-85

#23: Post by Ad-85 replying to happycat »

I was referring to the "Hyperchiller"
https://www.amazon.com/HyperChiller-HC2 ... ljaz10cnVl
I got it from their site it was cheaper. You make your regular brew then pour into this chiller and shake it for 1:30 m or 2 minutes tops then pour it over 2-4 ice cubes.
The result is deliciousness :mrgreen:
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

braxtonjens (original poster)

#24: Post by braxtonjens (original poster) »

How long was your brew & drawdown?

I've noticed that #4 wedge shaped brewers can yield a longer brew than a v60.
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617

happycat

#25: Post by happycat replying to braxtonjens »

It seemed surprisingly fast to me but I didn't time it.

I've switched to a Fellow Duo brewer, which is a little more elegant. I think the issue is the grind setting. With coarser coffee, the fellow duo results are very mellow and not strong enough but I do get coffee oils through the permanent metal filter.
LMWDP #603

yakster
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by yakster »

94 F so far on the way to 97 today so I decided to make some cold coffee in the HyperChiller, this time a lighter roasted Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village that I've been resting since I roasted it on the 1st. I brewed up a small batch in the BraZen (500 ml water to 33.8 grams of coffee) and poured 340 ml of coffee into the HyperChiller. The cold coffee is tasting pretty good with some florals and sweetness.

Out of curiousity, I took apart my HyperChiller after brewing and rinsing it and I noticed that the two reservoirs that you fill with plain water to freeze showed some coffee had mixed in and presumably some of the plain water has leaked out. It looks like the water isn't well sealed away from the coffee. Not sure if I should try some Dow 111 to make this seal better in the future. I like the HyperChiller, but the plastic lid and the seals to the stainless steel vessels inside could use improvement. I also noticed that it's easy to turn past and slip the threads when closing the lid on the outer plastic case.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

braxtonjens (original poster)

#27: Post by braxtonjens (original poster) »

If you have a V60, give it a try with that.
Also what I've noticed that sometimes a brew might taste very bitter and astringent. When I add a bit of water the flavors open up and it gets really tasty, the issue was that the strength was a bit too high.
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617