Not your average Japanese iced coffee. - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
MNate

#11: Post by MNate »

I do this general approach often in the summer... that is, brew a bit stronger, straight to ice which dilutes it a bit. I do this method with espresso more often as that's just my typical brew method and I'd have to start from scratch in figuring out a brew method...

Actually, I often have a strong and unpleasant-to-me bean that I stored away in the freezer that I just didn't like. I'll get this out and brew it/espresso it to a normal extraction and it takes the edge off and really can make it enjoyable. Maybe that's the rapid-chill or maybe it's just because I've diluted it a bit, I don't know, but I like it. And if I still don't like it, a swirl of caramel covers everything (don't know why that is more acceptable to me in a cold drink than a hot one).

So yes, a sort of Japanese Iced Coffee is my go-to.

MikeTheBlueCow

#12: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

yakster wrote:Would you recommend the HyperChiller? Does it work well for two back-to-back cold brews like they advertise?
I very much enjoy using the HyperChiller because it means I don't have to change anything about how I brew, and I prefer the taste of a regularly-brewed coffee that is quick-chilled (instead of a concentrate diluted via ice, which is still better than cold brew). If you brew over it, you don't even really have to wait for it to chill. I swirl it a bit then pour it in my glass, without ice, and I'm happy. The only negative about I will say is that it only holds 8oz or so comfortably. I have been just rinsing it out with warm water and sticking it back in the freezer and it's ready for the next day. I tend to clean it and refill it every few uses just to hopefully prevent any severe buildup of coffee oils/stale taste.

I don't often brew two cups back to back, but I have used the HyperChiller like this and the second one takes longer to chill down but it is pretty serviceable. I would probably use ice in the glass as a safeguard in that case. I would not attempt to chill a third brew with it in quick succession.

If I were to do larger brews then perhaps the ColdWave would be a better option, but since I only brew very small cups anyways the HyperChiller seemed like a better fit for me. I do not know how the ColdWave would perform for back-to-back brews but I know it's what they used to chill my pour over at G. Howell and it seems to work as well as the HyperChiller does for me at home for a single brew.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
braxtonjens (original poster)

#13: Post by braxtonjens (original poster) »

I've been working on a copper coil that Sit in a bucket of ice water. This would be used for larger brews.
I haven't finished it up yet, but I'm eager to give it a try, because it would be great to be able to brew full normal strength coffee and have it flash chilled without any dilution.
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617

Ad-85

#14: Post by Ad-85 »

Thanks! I just bought the HyperChiller. I used Hoffman's recipe for months but I like my iced americano from the robot more!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

I think the HyperChiller would make a great Father's Day gift. :lol:
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

braxtonjens (original poster)

#16: Post by braxtonjens (original poster) »

Any report on that Hyperchill?
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

Just got a HyperChiller for Father's Day. It'll be going in the freezer later today, I'll report back with my impressions when I get a chance to use it. I was glad to see it rated as safe for the top shelf of the dishwasher.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
happycat

#18: Post by happycat »

I threw this together and generally followed your ratio.

You didn't mention ice weight.

I went with 1:10 coffee to hot water (60g = 600g hot water) using espresso ground coffee, and I used 400g of ice which brings me to my normal 60g:1 litre ratio.

I made it in a blender. The advantage is you can run the blender after to finish off the ice and create some foam. I used my Bonavita brewer with a Melitta #4 style filter (store brand).

I poured this into a cream whipper and gassed it up and put it in the fridge for tomorrow (Canada Day).
LMWDP #603

Ad-85

#19: Post by Ad-85 »

braxtonjens wrote:Any report on that Hyperchill?
One word "AMAZING"

I found out about the HyperChiller from this thread and I can't thank you guys enough. It's really amazing and I enjoy the coffees more than the splash Japanese style iced coffee which was bitter compared to this.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by yakster »

Put the HyperChiller in the freezer, but now I need to roast some more coffee before I can try it out.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272