Turkish coffee without ibrik - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ytm

#11: Post by ytm »

I don't have any experience with traditional grinders, but the Lido E seems to grind pretty well and definitely fine enough for Turkish, just as well as the pre-ground Turkish I sometimes buy from a local roaster.

I suppose that most manual grinders capable of grinding for Espresso, can also grind for Turkish.

Regarding when to stop, if you're adding the coffee only after you boiled the water, and let them cool off a bit, you should already have plenty of foam (unless the coffee is stale), after resuming the heating, the point at which I stop is when I see the foam starting to expand, even if it's a small and localized area, that's when I end it. I guess you can stretch it a bit more according to taste, since roast level would probably affect the temperature you should reach, but never reach a full boil.

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

Per the link I've posted above with instructions from a member from Turkey, I put the ground dry coffee in the turka, add water, stir it and put that on a preheated cast iron plate on the stove at nearly high heat. The coffee is ground very fine but is not a dust-like powder, which would taste muddy, and the grounds wouldn't settle. I watch it until the sides start to foam and have a thin walled coffee cup ready. When the foam merges in the middle of the turka, I immediately pour all of it into the coffee cup. I think of the foam as something similar to coffee blooming when you fully wet the grounds. I never let it go to a rolling boil, otherwise it can taste burned. I let that cup cool a few minutes and let the grounds settle. Then it's ready to drink and is best for discerning flavors as it nears room temperature. This procedure fully brews the coffee and doesn't burn it. Sometimes when I don't want to deal with the grit, I pour the coffee into a filter cone and gently wring that out into a clean cup.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!