Tuning pourover method based on taste

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by pizzaman383 »

Is there a pourover version of Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste and the associated guides for how to dial in pourover when you start trying a new dripper?

I have routines that provide the perfect taste from my current setup (Technivorm one and December dripper). With that setup I can control the amount of grounds, the drip rate, how much agitation I do, and the fineness of the grind. I worked it out over time to get perfection that is very repeatable.

I just received my xbloom and am trying to mimic the results. I can't control the drip rate but I can control temperature, grind setting, and maybe pouring method.

I can taste a difference in the brewed results. Is there a guide showing what to change based on taste?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

pizzaman383 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

The specific taste is a slight sharpness on the back sides of my tongue as the coffee lingers in my mouth as I swallow. I would like to reduce that.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

If you haven't already done so, I'd run the calibration process on the grinder. While most of the reports seem to be that the grind is too coarse, it may be that yours happens to be a bit too fine.

pizzaman383 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

I am working on the grind settings with the xbloom.

My question stands because I have run into the same challenge when trying new drippers and new coffees.
Curtis
LMWDP #551