Trinity Zero!

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
sweaner
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by sweaner »

This device looks like a winner to me. Thoughts?
Scott
LMWDP #248

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by jbviau »

Reminds me of the Palmpress (which I haven't used) in some respects: https://palmpress.coffee/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

sweaner wrote:This device looks like a winner to me. Thoughts?

video
Is that a 58 mm basket? The niche grinds bin fits in perfectly.

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

Smaller and lighter than an Aeropress. Possibly more efficient too as it doesn't immerse the grounds in all the water. It could be a really nice travel brewer. A little bit expensive at $67 though. And traveling seems like a distant dream at the moment...

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baldheadracing » replying to jpender »

It was $30USD on KickStarter. I didn't back because I have an Aeropress Go which can do exactly what the Zero can do (and the Aeropress can do more).

Besides, in keeping with their rationale for the 'Zero' name, me keeping on using the Aeropress has a much better "environmental footprint/sustainability/insert trendy term here" when compared to their newly-manufactured product.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

That's probably not quite what they were going for with their sustainability pitch. :-)

For sure the Go and Zero overlap to some extent. But they aren't identical. The Zero is significantly smaller and lighter. And it's more of a percolation brewer whereas the Go is more of an immersion brewer. I've long wished for an insert that would fit onto the Aeropress and convert it into a percolation brewer. So here's a device that does only that. I wonder how well it actually works.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:That's probably not quite what they were going for with their sustainability pitch. :-)

For sure the Go and Zero overlap to some extent. But they aren't identical. The Zero is significantly smaller and lighter. And it's more of a percolation brewer whereas the Go is more of an immersion brewer. I've long wished for an insert that would fit onto the Aeropress and convert it into a percolation brewer. So here's a device that does only that. I wonder how well it actually works.
I've tried tamping the coffee in the Aeropress and also tamping and then placing/tamping a wet Aeropress paper filter on top of the puck. I've also tried pouring slowly over the puck in the Aeropress using a Melodrip. (In all cases using the plunger afterwards.) None of these made me want to switch from my usual Aeropress methods, but it is fun to experiment.

(I used this 55mm tamper - $9 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Harold-Co-43 ... 00CZNHJT0/)

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by DamianWarS » replying to baldheadracing »

I have a 3D printed tamper custom for the Aeropress. it's designed for the Aeropress long-handled scoop to fit standing up in it which allows you to press into the tamp more using the spoon and get the "tamper" out.

to get back on topic this trinity zero looks like a 58mm diameter which I approve of. The more coffee stuff I accumulate the more I desire a greater standardization to allow interoperability and experimentation at the user's discretion (unadvertised of course). The Aeropress and Zero may not be designed for tamping but I say keep a standard size (in this case 58mm) to make the brewer more flexible. I would even like a product like the Zero to have standard portafilter flanges so someone can make a connection and say "I wonder if my portafilter could fit in that". It probably wouldn't work as well, but who cares, I still want to try it out.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

I wasn't thinking of an espresso-like device. Rather more like an improved moka pot, where the grind isn't as fine and there's usually no tamping. The problem with moka pots is the temperature starts too low and often finishes too high. I've often thought that it would make more sense to push the hot water through myself rather than the ever-hotter steam/air. Why not a little pump?

The Zero is essentially that: untamped, medium-fine grind, and a declining temperature profile.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:... The Zero is essentially that: untamped, medium-fine grind, and a declining temperature profile.
Got it.

I've always had a vague dislike of moka pot coffee. The increasing temperature profile may well be why - although it was more likely me :oops: .