Travel Water Heating/Pouring

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
lfincher

Postby lfincher » May 14, 2019, 3:46 pm

What is everyone doing as far as heating water when away from home or your favorite coffee shop? When camping or avoiding bad hotel coffee exc...?

yakster

Postby yakster » May 14, 2019, 3:54 pm

I have a Bobble Presse travel mug/press which I use for travel and also daily coffee. At home, I fill it up from the hot water tap of my water dispenser, and I find that traveling it's usually easy to find hot water somewhere. This brewer seems fairly tolerant of less than just off the boil water. I've even had it filled from the Fetco boiler at fast food restaurants and even Starbucks cafes in the past when grinding and brewing out of the trunk of my car. Sometimes I'll bring along an electric water kettle if I'm traveling by car.

When camping, I just boil over the stove or campfire.

Somewhere I have an immersion coil for heating water but I never really used it.

Google why you should never use hot water on airplanes or order coffee on airplanes (bacteria) if you plan on brewing coffee in-flight. (which may not be allowed) You could try to fill up a thermos once your through security from someone's Fetco.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster

Postby yakster » May 14, 2019, 6:57 pm

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » May 14, 2019, 7:58 pm

I often travel with an Espro press pot, and I bring along w small immersion coil. Fill up with water, heat to a boil, remove the coil, stir in the coffee, brew and press.
LMWDP #435

lagoon

Postby lagoon » May 14, 2019, 8:25 pm

Definitely BYO kettle if staying in hotels.

I haven't touched a hotel kettle since learning that people boil their underwear in them...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 09941.html

Mbb

Postby Mbb » May 14, 2019, 8:55 pm

Hotels in rest if world often have a hot pot. 220v boils FAST. Then pour into pourover kettle, adjust with small amt cool watter if needed or let cool, and pour.

In us hotels have microwave . i bring a small plastic container to heat water. Pour into kettle, adjust, yada yada

If doing extended stay in US, id bring a single burner or electric kettle. For a couple days the microwave works

lagoon

Postby lagoon » May 14, 2019, 10:30 pm

Out of interest does anyone use some form of pod based machine as their travel solution?

lfincher

Postby lfincher » May 17, 2019, 1:13 pm

What about the smaller Bonavita kettle? The 0.5 liter kettle I believe.

rhtrevino

Postby rhtrevino » replying to lfincher » May 17, 2019, 4:09 pm

Yup. This is the one I use: http://bonavitaworld.com/products/05l-mini-kettle

It packs pretty well considering you can put small containers of beans, Aeropress filters, and the like inside. I also take a Porlex mini with me as the body of the grinder fits nicely within the Aeropress plunger.