Travel kettle?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Eastsideloco

#1: Post by Eastsideloco »

Anyone own a small 120Vac hot water kettle that they like for travel purposes?

These are often provided in hotel rooms abroad. In the US, not so much. Small coffee machines seem to have a monopoly here. I'm looking for something that can be packed in a suitcase or carry on for use w/ an aeropress. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

allon

#2: Post by allon »

I have a crappy cheap one from a drugstore. Don't care if it gets lost/broken, and so far it works okay. It boils water; that is all that really matters to me.

I used to travel with an aeropress, but now I use a clever coffee dripper. I also use to travel with a skerton, but last trip I brought the Pharos (it was a long trip by car; I probably bring the skerton if I flew).
LMWDP #331

EricBNC

#3: Post by EricBNC »

I can think of a couple solutions for portable hot water though they are not traditional kettles. I found one of these Zelco Brisk Brew single cup coffeemakers still in the original box with an unwrapped cup. It has a switch on the back for selecting 110 or 220v for use overseas too. This is as compact as I have seen though I have an old Hot Shot that is pretty compact as well with more of a box shape than the newer style but works the same way.

The Zelco and the Hot Shot can replace a bulky kettle but will not hold as much water either. I like the Zelco since it can brew coffee too (built in mesh filter) if the pour over cone gets lost or broken but the Hot Shot will be easier to find.

A microwave will heat water too which requires no additional equipment besides what is already provided in a standard hotel room, and depending on the maker, some hotel drip or single serve coffee makers deliver decent temps too.

Sunbeam Hot Shot - $18

Zelco - $??
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

At World Market in San Diego I picked up an element on a cord for $8 because I had forgotten my water cooker. It fits in my luggage better and can heat water for an 8 cup press pot while I shower in the morning. I use it now at work to bring the hot water from our filter up to brew temp.
LMWDP #198

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Good suggestion, Clint. Searching on "beverage heater" found lots of choices (there's even one that plugs into your laptop's USB port). If space is at a premium, an element heater would be best. Camping stores like REI should have various choices in stock.
Dan Kehn

EricBNC

#6: Post by EricBNC »

I thought about the immersion coil too but I remember someone posting on another forum that strangely not all of them will boil water - some only heat the water to 180 - 190 F, and some not even that hot though the ones I see listed on Amazon show user photo's of water boiling for some models. Here is a cheap one Available on Amazon for under $10 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-559-Immers ... d_sim_hi_4

But there are a bunch more to be found by searching "Immersion Water Heater". All get less than 4 stars though which is surprising for such a simple looking device.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

Eastsideloco (original poster)

#7: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Yeah, I'd like to be able to get the water to 200°+, and be able to control the pour reasonably well. While an immersion heating unit seems like it offers the smallest footprint, you still need a vessel for heating the water in. While I like the auto-off feature that some kettles provide, maybe that's not necessary for travel purposes. With an immersion heater, you can turn any container you want into a travel kettle...

Chert

#8: Post by Chert »

I've used my immersion heater to boil water in an insulated 8 cup press. Not the fastest option but it does boil. In a 12 oz cup it heats to boiling faster.
LMWDP #198

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

Zelco Brisk Brew! Wow -- that brings back memories. I used to travel with one of those in the 90s. Clean-up was a bear.

We use one of the Bodum small (17-ounce) kettles now and are very happy with it. Coupled with a Porlex grinder and an Aeropress or Melita-style dripper, it keeps us in drinkable coffee on the road.

CrayonShinchan

#10: Post by CrayonShinchan »

I've been lurking this thread for a couple days and thinking of what would be best in a travel scenario. Given that a controlled pour is always desirable, I feel that the Hario Buono electric kettle would be the best choice...once it is available. You'd need to take care in protecting the spout so a putting it in a hard box would be best. Hario or someone should come up with a travel case for the Buono (electric and non-electric) :idea: :idea: :idea: