Technivorm Moccamaster KBGV build quality - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
FkinBeast

#31: Post by FkinBeast »

skink91 wrote:I always do a pour-over for single cups unfortunately, so have no data on that... but why would the grind size change?

Also.. I would say that the grind size should be expected to change from bean to bean anyway (staying in a general range though)

I've heard some grind coarser for larger batches to account for the greater flow resistance.

For pour over, do you find yourself within the 6.5 - 7 range?

skink91 (original poster)

#32: Post by skink91 (original poster) »

FkinBeast wrote: I've heard some grind coarser for larger batches to account for the greater flow resistance.

For pour over, do you find yourself within the 6.5 - 7 range?
That seems opposite to me, but I am really just a beginner as well.

I had been sticking around 7 for both... but will now be trying the new finer setting for the next week. Like I said though, I will be trying a new bag of different beans starting tomorrow so that setting may need to move a little... that said, I would guess that 6.5 to 7.0 range is about right.

We'll see in the next couple days.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#33: Post by Milligan »

skink91 wrote:A brief followup on this maker: I've been regularly using it over the last couple weeks and have been pretty pleased with the coffee its been producing relative to my previous drip maker, even without fiddling with the bloom.

That said... I do feel like I have some things to understand better and dial in. The coffee is still slightly weak/underextracted to taste and by sight I think the grounds (especially toward the handle, not under the drip) are not all getting enough water and extraction. Guessing that a stir at the front end (i.e. fiddling with the bloom) is gonna fix a lot of this, though admit to often wanting to just not have to mess around with anything extra when not doing a pourover.

This sound about right to all you regarding the slightly weak coffee? I suppose I could grind slightly finer as well to increase the brew time a bit more.
I had to move my grind quite fine for my wife that uses it. It is far finer than my pour overs even the April.

skink91 (original poster)

#34: Post by skink91 (original poster) »

Another update: I am really loving the quality of my cups over the last several weeks from the Moccamaster. I actually dialed my grind even coarser (now at around 7.3 on the P100) to eliminate the astringency.

My only real complaint, and it is true of nearly all drip makers, is I wish I didn't have to tend it so much during the bloom to ensure evenness of the extraction. I have been keeping the carafe out, and using a short butter knife to redirect the water to the edges until it comes up toward the top of the filter and then putting the carafe back in.

The results in the cup are great though, because I am getting the most out of the grinds... so my complaint is nitpicky to be sure.