Technivorm Moccamaster KBGV build quality - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
rmongiovi

#11: Post by rmongiovi »

BSdV wrote: There used to be a model available that had a valve in the filter body as well, that could be shut. This was a more elegant solution I think and I would have liked that on our machine as well.
I'm pretty sure it's still available. The KBGV version has the automatic "carafe is in place" switch and the KB model has a three position manual switch: closed to allow a bloom and stir before opening, half open for a slower drip when making less coffee, and fully open for the normal batch size.

skink91 (original poster)

#12: Post by skink91 (original poster) »

One additional annoyance - now that I just purchased one, everyone has them on sale for 20% off!

Ha... figures.

drH

#13: Post by drH »

I also had similar initial, let's call them "wonderings" about the plastic components. But as I thought about what choices I'd have made if I was designing the machine, I started to see the selections as sensible. The plastic lids and brew chamber are the parts that get removed and tumbled around every day. If they were any other material I may have broken, scratched, or bent them by now. And they are the easiest parts to replace. The components that really matter- boiler, heating element, housing, are all metal and built to be easily serviced. It's grown on me the more I use it.

rmongiovi

#14: Post by rmongiovi »

Until you run into one of the "I will never ingest anything that has touched plastic" folks.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Plinyyounger »

skink91 wrote:Wow! That is indeed impressive.

I truly hope that I am mistaken about all this, and time will tell I guess. My concern currently is the historical reputation of the product is allowing for recent changes that have made an inferior product... again, this is just based on the one I received and nothing else. I still have not used it as I just got it yesterday.
It's not an inferior product.
Family, coffee and fun.

SutterMill

#16: Post by SutterMill »

skink91 wrote:One additional annoyance - now that I just purchased one, everyone has them on sale for 20% off!

Ha... figures.
Curious what drove your purchase decision to the Moccamaster vs. something like a ratio6?

#17: Post by skink91 (original poster) replying to SutterMill »

Hadn't heard that much about the Ratio 6 to be honest... I had just started researching and watching YouTube videos and was really interested in the drips that seemed to be emulating pourover brewing. The one I really liked the look of was the Wilfa, but it didn't seem like it was available over here.

The Technivorm seemed to have generally positive owner experience and I did like the way it looked if I am being honest.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Shakespeare »

drH wrote:I also had similar initial, let's call them "wonderings" about the plastic components. But as I thought about what choices I'd have made if I was designing the machine, I started to see the selections as sensible. The plastic lids and brew chamber are the parts that get removed and tumbled around every day. If they were any other material I may have broken, scratched, or bent them by now. And they are the easiest parts to replace. The components that really matter- boiler, heating element, housing, are all metal and built to be easily serviced. It's grown on me the more I use it.
I purchased mine from the for sale Barista Forum marketplace. I fully agree with 'drH' It works flawlessly each time.
Every morning I'm greeted with some exotic lightly roasted coffee grown in some distant mountains in Panama or
other countries & continents.

And this Moccamaster give me the option to initially bloom and stir my coffee before it finally pours with water at the perfect temperature to provide me floral, fruity, nutty exotic brew to enjoy.
And the machine still looks perfect as new as when I first received it. My only complaint...is the glass carafe.
It might break.I'm clumsy. Oh. Well.. I'll have to replace it.;)

Intrepid510

#19: Post by Intrepid510 »

I have one and like it, but got at goodwill for 15 dollars so my investment is minimal.

However I do have a friend that runs a b&b and he keeps one in each room for coffee and has found them incredibly reliable. He also uses the repair service on them occasionally where you send it in and for 60 dollars they fix it back up. That alone he says was worth the initial investment as opposed to tossing a machine after he would tinker with it for a while and get a new one.

#20: Post by skink91 (original poster) »

Intrepid510 wrote:However I do have a friend that runs a b&b and he keeps one in each room for coffee and has found them incredibly reliable. He also uses the repair service on them occasionally where you send it in and for 60 dollars they fix it back up. That alone he says was worth the initial investment as opposed to tossing a machine after he would tinker with it for a while and get a new one.
I will have to look this up (for future reference if/when something happens) but that is great, because I really can't stand how everything has become so throwaway these days... which is probably why my initial reaction was perhaps unfair and premature.