Technivorm Moccamaster descaling - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Pinem

#11: Post by Pinem »

The video below posted by Technivorm recommends the same cleaners as their European website and the user manual (i.e., Durgol and Cleandrop).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iRbtv0RTws

It is noted that both of these brands would be more easier to obtain in Europe than Urnex products. However, the opposite is true for North America.

It is also noted that the concern about citric acid and copper is also listed in the Swiss Durgol marketing literature. One could speculate the citric acid concern came from Durgol and Technivorm is just passing it on to the consumer on blind faith. Possibly, Technivorm's US distributor objected to this blind loyalty to a hard-to-procure product on the other side of the Atlantic, possibly under pressure from Urnex product reps, and so Technivorm relented and let the US website recommend a US produced descaler alternative. That's my conspiracy theory, anyway.

That all said, Durgol is not that hard to get in the US, so I decided to just get it instead for the peace of mind. I still use the Urnex cleaner option though, as I could not find a US source for Cleandrop.

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

My routine for cleaning up and descaling my Ratio 8 Brewer is fairly simple. I alternate between a simple EspressoParts coffee/espresso machine cleaner (not a descaler) and on the next go-around, I use Urnex descaler packets.

Simply fill my water reservoir with plain water and brew into the glass Ratio carafe that has the Urnex powder now sitting inside, I use a bottle brush to fully dissolve and clean the carafe, then I pour that into the reservoir and brew it through. Rinse, and repeat with plain water, rinse again and done.

MochaMaster (which I've owned previously) and Ratio 8 are on equal footing. Both are well made and brew excellent coffee. The Ratio 8 is a bit pricier, but definitely looks better.

Anyway, I'd treat both the same, and have, for about 10 years now. Both are robust brewers and I haven't had any concerns about citric acid coming in contact with anything copper.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/