Technivorm half vs full pot

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jfrescki

#1: Post by jfrescki »

A few times a week I brew a half pot of drip on my Technivorm Moccamster 10c with thermal pot and thoroughly enjoy it. I use 33g and the half-flow setting. I've had the machine for about 15 years. My wife and I mostly drink espresso/americano otherwise.

A handful of times a year I would like to brew a full pot for company. My problem is that as good as my half pot is, the full pot isn't. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's not great. Because I brew a full pot so infrequently, I'm loathe to waste a lot of coffee chasing the right grind and dose for a full pot that I make 3x/year. I would figure I would just use 66g and run the full flow position, but I don't like the result.

So my question is: Does anyone else find they need different grind or dose for a full vs. half pot, and if so, what do you change?

Thanks,
John
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I had the same Technivorm. You'll definitely have to grind a bit coarser. It's a bit tricky too, because of the taller bed height, it's not so easy to stir the bloom into one homogeneous slurry during the bloom phase.

Most auto-drip brewers tend to taste better at full batches and the slightly longer brew times they entail, so other than having an even bed and right grind, you should be getting great results.

GC7
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by GC7 »

I agree with you about the half pot as well as using the espresso machine far more frequently. My grind (Baritza Virtuoso) is the same as I use for a clever dripper.

I tend to allow the coffee to bloom while shut with no flow, stir once or twice and then use the half flow option.

For a full pot I use 70 gm coffee, allow it to bloom, stir and then open the valve to full flow. This seems to work well.

We don't use the Technivorm very often but it makes a good pot of coffee. I do wish the shower screen would cover a wider area.

jfrescki

#4: Post by jfrescki »

TomC wrote:You'll definitely have to grind a bit coarser. It's a bit tricky too
This is always what I assumed, but again I'm not making many full pots to test the results. Thanks. I use a Vario with steel burrs. Are you thinking a full macro adjustment or less, if you're familiar?
- Will Rogers

jfrescki

#5: Post by jfrescki »

GC7 wrote: I do wish the shower screen would cover a wider area.
Yes, that seems like an odd oversight for such an expensive machine. Also the quality of the vacuum carafe. Mine failed very early like many others.
- Will Rogers

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

jfrescki wrote:A few times a week I brew a half pot of drip on my Technivorm Moccamster 10c with thermal pot and thoroughly enjoy it. I use 33g and the half-flow setting. I've had the machine for about 15 years.
So my question is: Does anyone else find they need different grind or dose for a full vs. half pot, and if so, what do you change?
My daily dose is 40 gm of beans for the half pot, and I use a white Melitta filter. I leave the flow closed entirely for 8 minutes and then open it fully. When I have a guest and have occasion to make a full pot, I make no change to the grind, double the dose to 80 gm, and leave the flow control set to half.

GC7
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by GC7 »

jfrescki wrote:Also the quality of the vacuum carafe. Mine failed very early like many others.
They must have changed the carafe over the years because ours keeps the coffee hot for an entire morning which is as long as we've ever used it. The two covers, one for brewing and a closed on for storage is a nice feature. It's not the smoothest pour but with a bit of care nothing spills. Ours is about 2-3 years old.

Mochamaker

#8: Post by Mochamaker »

I have the same brewer and have only started using it almost every day a for a full pot a few months ago when my wife started drinking less coffee. (I used to my a half pot for me and a V60 for her) But with a full pot, 60 grams of coffee and Melita Cone Filter, I have to really watch it and turn it off once or twice to keep it from over flowing, even on wide open. I use beans usually just a week off roast, and my grind is as coarse as a press pot. The coffee is good, button great. Any suggestions? I can't grind any more coarse on my Bunn G1, and my Vario W, won't grind coarse enough to even use it for this machine.

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

60g in a Technivorm would probably require it to be veeeery well rested. You can try grinding the night before and just setting some kind of lid over the grounds. Let some of that CO2 sublimate and you'll probably be fine.

Mochamaker

#10: Post by Mochamaker » replying to TomC »

Thank Tom. I will try that Or maybe just dropping the amount of coffee I use. I wondered if the freshness of the coffee was a ain factor.