Technivorm half vs full pot - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
scottsworth

#11: Post by scottsworth »

Call me an idiot, but what about just brewing two half pots?

jfrescki (original poster)

#12: Post by jfrescki (original poster) »

Too easy...come on. 8)
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

Advertisement

#13: Post by jfrescki (original poster) »

But really, if I'm entertaining, it's nice to get everyone their coffee instead of "what's it worth to you to get your coffee first?"
- Will Rogers

TallDan

#14: Post by TallDan »

TomC wrote:60g in a Technivorm would probably require it to be veeeery well rested. You can try grinding the night before and just setting some kind of lid over the grounds. Let some of that CO2 sublimate and you'll probably be fine.
I'm a little surprised by this comment. I've been putting 77g into mine every weekday. I stir during the bloom, and it's pretty full, but I've rarely had a problem. My coffee is typically under-rested if anything, 2-5 days post roast. Using melitta paper filters.

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

scottsworth wrote:Call me an idiot, but what about just brewing two half pots?

I'd be bothered by the waste of filters and time/effort.
TallDan wrote:I'm a little surprised by this comment. I've been putting 77g into mine every weekday. I stir during the bloom, and it's pretty full, but I've rarely had a problem. My coffee is typically under-rested if anything, 2-5 days post roast. Using melitta paper filters.
I sold my Technivorm about 5 or 6 years ago, so I'm drawing from memory. 77g is impressive!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

SJM

#16: Post by SJM »

As mentioned in my earlier post, when I brew a full pot I use 80 gm of well rested beans ground in the MaCap. I set the flow at the middle setting so it goes through at less than full throttle and have never had any issues with overflow.

Jimmy-W

#17: Post by Jimmy-W »

I just bought a similar model (KB 741). I'm on the other side of this issue, as I want to brew 360 ml, or 3 cups on the MM scale. So, I'm less than a half pot and using the half-open basket setting. I grind medium, 27 clicks on my Comandante C40, and a 1:16.5 ratio (22 gr). I haven't tried stirring during the brewing process, and my coffee is a bit weak. With such a "small" brew, would stirring mid-way be worthwhile? I get a good flow rate, so I likely can grind a tad finer. I've wondered whether I should just try brewing about 500 ml with the same grind/ratio and see whether there's a difference.

Advertisement
Mochamaker

#18: Post by Mochamaker »

Has anyone tried removing the brew stop mech and seeing how that changes things? (I know it will, but how much?) I can never seem to get the grind coarse enough, and the gap between the hole and the stopper seems so small. I've been using mine consistently for 3 years after I got married and I'm finally ready to give up and but a Mr. Coffee. Ok I'm joking about the Mr. Coffee.

#19: Post by jfrescki (original poster) »

Jimmy-W wrote:I just bought a similar model (KB 741). I'm on the other side of this issue, as I want to brew 360 ml, or 3 cups on the MM scale. So, I'm less than a half pot and using the half-open basket setting. I grind medium, 27 clicks on my Comandante C40, and a 1:16.5 ratio (22 gr). I haven't tried stirring during the brewing process, and my coffee is a bit weak. With such a "small" brew, would stirring mid-way be worthwhile? I get a good flow rate, so I likely can grind a tad finer. I've wondered whether I should just try brewing about 500 ml with the same grind/ratio and see whether there's a difference.
My wife occasionally brews that much just for her using 20g but doesn't get great results. Of course she's not changing the grind from our 1/2 pot, just the dose.
- Will Rogers

tv79

#20: Post by tv79 »

I've owned my Technivorm since 2009 and almost always brew 500ml or less. Have experimented with more techniques than I can count, to varying degrees of success.

My most consistent results have been with an aftermarket showerhead insert I purchased on eBay. It definitely improves water distribution vs. the stock spray head alone, though it's not perfect and water still prefers certain holes of the insert more than others. That said, most cups are smooth and enjoyable even with little to no intervention in the brew process.