Technivorm aftermarket showerhead cover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mojoit

#1: Post by mojoit »

For those few of you who use a Moccamaster with the aftermarket showerhead from ArtisanSmith, I've designed a basket cover to help combat the brew water temperature loss I've observed with it. For reference, I have an older KBT 741 with the circular-bottom manual brew basket. You'll want to check the dimensions of my part and make sure it is appropriate for your machine.

I'd like to be able to share the part file in this thread, but it seems like .stl file extensions are invalid, so if you'd like the part file, PM me.

Happy brewing!

dhou
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dhou »

How have you found their aftermarket showerhead? I had never heard or read of this mod until I saw your post! Definitely like the wide dispersion design!

mojoit (original poster)

#3: Post by mojoit (original poster) »

I've yet to do a back-to-back brew comparison with the stock 9-hole showerhead, but the spent coffee bed with the Artisansmith showerhead is much more level, with much less evidence of channeling. I'll try to snap a couple pics this week of both beds and relay some tasting notes as well.

mojoit (original poster)

#4: Post by mojoit (original poster) »

This is an informal comparison, but it may be useful. I tried to keep my brew method as identical as possible in both batches. Both 1-L batches were brewed at a 60g/L ratio, ground on a Bunnzilla with SSP burrs, and brewed with the basket covers on (stock cover for the stock showerhead and my cover for the Artisansmith showerhead). I manually close the brew basket for the first 40 seconds of the brew, give the basket a small side-to-side shake to settle the grounds, and open the brew basket to full flow. I've attached the pictures of the spent beds, as well as the TDS readings I measured with my cheap TDS meter.

Artisansmith showerhead

Stock 9 hole showerhead

Artisansmith TDS

Stock 9 hole TDS

mbenedet

#5: Post by mbenedet »

I don't want to derail the thread - is it okay to ask about this after market shower head in general? If not, feel free it ignore everything below :)

I wonder if the temperature loss is from the extra holes as well. Does anyone have any comments on the speed of brewing? Does the water dispensing rate speed up with the extra holes or is that a function of how fast the machine heats up the water?

I'm able to achieve 21% extraction, 1.35% TDS with 58 grams coffee/1000 grams water ground on 10 with an EK43. To do this, however, I have to stir the slurry two times. My biggest disappointment with the machine is that the shower head is very plainly not over the center of the bed (I assume for better access for stirring).

Here's a picture of my spent bed, just for info.

namelessone

#6: Post by namelessone »

I also close the filter until 40 sec, stir the slurry at 15 seconds and three stirs at the top at 40 sec before opening the filter. When all the water is gone, I give it a swirl. Using stock showerhead, it gives me a mostly flat bed or close to it. I can also hit 21% EY (0% CO2/H20 setting) using this method. I only use 27g coffee to 500g water though, haven't tried brewing 60g at a time..

As the water drops down from a very low height and there's always a healthy margin of water above the coffee bed, I don't think the wider showerhead make a huge difference. It might have more effect on brewers with a flat basket.

BTW Measuring TDS itself isn't enough, you need a proper refractometer and also weigh the final beverages :)

dhou
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by dhou »

mojoit wrote:This is an informal comparison, but it may be useful. I tried to keep my brew method as identical as possible in both batches. Both 1-L batches were brewed at a 60g/L ratio, ground on a Bunnzilla with SSP burrs, and brewed with the basket covers on (stock cover for the stock showerhead and my cover for the Artisansmith showerhead). I manually close the brew basket for the first 40 seconds of the brew, give the basket a small side-to-side shake to settle the grounds, and open the brew basket to full flow. I've attached the pictures of the spent beds, as well as the TDS readings I measured with my cheap TDS meter.
Thanks for the comparison. I typically close the filter for 40s and stir the slurry prior to opening the filter. I do a few light tamps prior to letting it run on its own and get a fairly flat bed though I've never measured TDS. Appreciate the time and feedback.

mojoit (original poster)

#8: Post by mojoit (original poster) »

mbenedet wrote:I don't want to derail the thread - is it okay to ask about this after market shower head in general? If not, feel free it ignore everything below :)
I have no problem with whatever direction the thread goes, if it's helpful to the community.
mbenedet wrote:I wonder if the temperature loss is from the extra holes as well. Does anyone have any comments on the speed of brewing? Does the water dispensing rate speed up with the extra holes or is that a function of how fast the machine heats up the water?

I'm able to achieve 21% extraction, 1.35% TDS with 58 grams coffee/1000 grams water ground on 10 with an EK43. To do this, however, I have to stir the slurry two times. My biggest disappointment with the machine is that the shower head is very plainly not over the center of the bed (I assume for better access for stirring).
I think the open top brew basket is more to blame for the temperature loss. However, I don't think it's out of the question that the smaller streams of water with less thermal mass coming out of the smaller holes are cooled by the air more readily as they fall to the slurry below. Pure speculation on my part, but I figured creating a cover for the basket wouldn't be a bad thing for temperature loss/stability.

I've found my brew time (time from first water coming out of the shower head until the coffee bed starts dripping instead of being a stream) for a 1-liter brew is about 5:45.
namelessone wrote:BTW Measuring TDS itself isn't enough, you need a proper refractometer and also weigh the final beverages :)
Totally agree. I wouldn't be opposed to shipping this showerhead out to someone in the US with a refractometer so that they can run a more proper test of the efficacy of this aftermarket showerhead.

pawelmwo

#9: Post by pawelmwo »

This is fantastic! I just sent you a PM. I've been using the custom shower head on my Moccamaster KBG 471 for a few months now and I love it. I recently put an aluminum foil lid. Would love to get this 3d printed.

Here is a video of it in action if anyone is interested. Note the grind size in the video is not ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRIAWw6TW_Y

labazro

#10: Post by labazro »

1. My bit of research in 3d version of this filter cover suggests that all the material, even if temp safe, will be too porous and will absorb bacteria. The alternative would be some sort of epoxy cover or something else to cover it in. Or using the 3d printer to make a filter cover mold to create a silicone filter cover.

2. MORE IMPORTANTLY: ArtisanSmith sent me a photo of a filter cover he made last night! There were not many details, such as material (looked to be stainless steel) or price. I am attempting to attach the photo, but this site is wonky.